So you’ve just started to get a hang of the Binghamton University campus, but what about off campus? Dining hall food isn’t always satisfying and trying to figure out how the Library Tower works gets old quickly. For those times when you need to hop on an Off Campus College Transport (OCCT) bus and go somewhere new, here’s a crash-course guide to getting around beyond your dorm room.

State Street

For a lot of BU students, going Downtown means one thing: State Street. On Friday and Saturday nights, the street is transformed into a circus of drunken revelry and occasional public urination. Here you can find all the popular bars and dancing spots, including Tom and Marty’s, official bar sponsor of Taylor Swift, and The Rathskeller, famous for its dark corners and scorpion bowls. If you and your friends start to feel the drunk munchies, Pasquale’s pizzeria is just a stumble away. If you’re feeling wealthy, try Binghamton Hots for some delicious yet expensive mozzarella sticks.

Downtown Restaurants

Believe it or not, Downtown Binghamton is not just one big strip of crowded, sticky college bars. Court, Washington and Water Street have several incredible restaurants and breweries worth checking out. Student and local favorite Lost Dog Cafe is the place to be for some killer rigatoni ala vodka, and Water Street Brewing Co. offers a huge selection of beers, along with vegan and gluten-free options on their menu. You might want to keep that in mind for parents’ weekend.

Restaurants near Campus

There will come a time when the burrito station in College-in-the-Woods will lose its appeal and you won’t be able to endure the endless entrée line any longer. When you need a break from Sodexo, take a walk down Vestal Parkway and check out the nearby eateries. Los Tapatio’s has authentic Mexican food at great prices, and K& The Old Teahouse offers bubble tea until midnight to satisfy your cravings. Walk a little farther and you’ll find Man Nam, a small Korean restaurant behind KFC that has some of the best food in Vestal. If you’re in the mood for something cheap and familiar, Vestal Parkway is filled with almost every chain restaurant you can imagine.

Oakdale Mall and Wegmans

If you haven’t heard any of your upstate friends rant about Wegmans, let us be the first. Wegmans is everything you want in a grocery store and a little extra magic to make your foodie sense tingle. Their store-brand goods are great quality for an even greater price, and their subs will change the way you look at sandwiches forever. Across the street is Oakdale Mall, which recently got a Forever 21, meaning you can actually afford new clothes. OCCT and city buses make stops at both locations.

The Nature Preserve

You’ve definitely heard about it, whether from the tour guide during your first visit, or from those hippie kids that somehow already know their way around it. Regardless, the Nature Preserve is an awesome and unique feature of Binghamton University that you definitely need to check out for yourself. Even though it’s on campus, it often feels like a whole different world. The trailhead starts right behind Mountainview College, and making your way to the view at the top is a must before it gets cold. Just make sure to wear decent walking shoes!