Binghamton University students are getting ready to embrace the cold early this year in the University’s first annual “Undie Run.” And yes, it’s pretty much exactly what it sounds like.

Not only an excuse for BU students to parade around in their underwear, Catherine Cornell, Student Association vice president for programming, explained that this is first and foremost a charity event and a reminder to students that the Southern Tier is still in need of our help.

“The idea is that students layer on clothes they are willing to donate [shorts over pants, shirts over shirts over shirts] and stuff their pockets and bags with canned goods and toiletries,” she said.

All of the clothing donations will be given to the Salvation Army, who will distribute it throughout the Southern Tier, and all canned goods will be given to CHOW, an organization in Broome County that collects and distributes food to the hungry, to help those that have been affected by the flood.

Beginning at 3 p.m. tomorrow, the runners will jog from the library docks (where the spring rave began last semester) down to the Events Center, where the Homecoming Tailgate will be starting. Underneath their donations, students will be wearing funny underwear or skimpy costumes and participants will receive free T-shirts and food for their efforts. Those who do not feel like running can still come to donate what they can for the flood victims and to cheer on their fellow students who are running.

Adam Horowitz, an undeclared junior, is the one who suggested the idea for Undie Run, modeling it after Arizona State University’s annual undie run on their last day of classes.

“I was thinking of either doing it around campus or getting the city’s approval and doing it on Vestal Parkway with the finish line being State Street,” he said. “It would be cool to have a huge event like ASU [Asian Student Union] has and create another tradition at Binghamton.”

Although having the event during the afternoon does deter students from abusing the purpose of the Undie Run, an event like this does have the potential to get out of hand in terms of people showing up drunk or streaking.

“Students are going to show up drunk to any event we plan, we just hope they’re safe in their judgments and act with respect toward others,” Cornell said. “As far as the Will Ferrell wannabe streakers, Pipe Dream will be there to photograph and document incredibly embarrassing and job-deterring behavior, along with cops [who] will be present to remove those that run completely nude.”

Olivia Cuccaro, an undeclared freshman, is extremely excited about the upcoming Undie Run.

“I truly believe the best way to get college-age students to participate in something for a good cause is to leave room for creativity and silliness,” Cuccaro said. “This event offers both.”

Aside from running in underwear, students can wear fun costumes underneath their donation clothes. Prizes will be given away for the most original, funniest and best group.

Cuccaro has already begun to plan her outfit for the event.

“In Broome, we have a joke about our floor being like the cast of the Wizard of Oz,” she said. “My hall friends and I are thinking about dressing up as the characters underneath all our other layers.”

While there seem to be a lot of positive opinions about the Undie Run, there are some students who are opposed to the event.

Oleg Brodskiy, an undeclared sophomore, does not plan on attending the Undie Run.

“I think it’s creative to play on college kids’ desire to undress themselves while providing a spectacle, but it’s a little too public and ridiculous for sane taste,” Brodskiy said. “When I donate something, I don’t need an event. I just need a place to put the stuff I want to donate.”

Regardless of if you’re all set to strip down to your undies or you just want to show your support and donate without participating, it’s important to remember that the event is for a good cause and a way to continue helping out the city of Binghamton.