Toby Talbot/AP Photo

With Valentine’s Day a mere six days away, Binghamton University students may be feeling the pressure to find the perfect date. Well, the clock is ticking my friends, and sitting in the Glenn G. Bartle Library waiting for your soul mate to walk by and start up a conversation is getting unrealistic. By the way, I’m not just talking about the ladies here; a recent University study found that a majority of both male and female students would prefer a romantic relationship over a hookup.

Now is the time to be proactive, so check out our step-by-step guide to snagging your valentine.

Day 1 (Tuesday): Find your target

Whether it’s your best friend who you’ve been secretly crushing on or that person in your biology class who you can’t stop staring at, you can’t get a valentine without choosing a dream date. Be sure not to settle though; just because it’s Valentine’s Day, doesn’t mean you should lower your standards. Facebook stalking is acceptable this time; you need to make sure your target isn’t serious with anyone else. No one wants to waste time with a fruitless endeavor.

Day 2 (Wednesday): Make the move

Look good and feel good, because confidence is key. You should look your best every day this week so you don’t get caught off guard; you never know when you’ll run into your potential date.

You know that cute guy or girl in your creative writing class? Sit next to him or her. Have a conversation starter ready — conveniently forgetting a pen or paper is a great way to lean over and whisper in their ear. If it’s a friend you’re after, casually ask him or her to grab a coffee or lunch, a simple gesture to make sure they’re thinking about you.

Day 3 (Thursday): Give them a call

If you had a good time the day before, let the object of your affection know. A phone call is preferable — it’s more impactful, and for you ladies, it will definitely make you stand out — but if you tend to fumble during phone conversations, you can send a flirty text. Nothing too forward, you want to keep an air of mystery while letting them know that you’re still thinking about them.

Day 4 (Friday): Bring your “A” game Downtown

Put some extra effort into your outfit before the trek DT just in case you run into your crush. Flirt and be friendly, but don’t be too overbearing. Playing hard to get gives you a sense of mystery, but going overboard can send some mixed signals. Also, be sure not to down too many shots. Liquid courage is all well and good, but nobody likes a sloppy mess.

Day 5 (Saturday): Plan ahead

Make plans to meet up at a party or one of the bars. If you decide to meet up later in the night, keep in touch but don’t bombard them with texts. You don’t want to come off as annoying. Spend the night cracking jokes and showing him or her how witty you are. Don’t try too hard though; desperation is easily detectable. Having a quick makeout sesh on the Scoreboard dance floor will definitely show your interest. However, be sure not to follow your potential date home at the end of the night. Once you get it in, it’s game over. So do yourself a favor and resist the urge.

Day 6 (Sunday): The big day

Fellas, drop a casual suggestion to meet up on Monday and whatever you do, don’t mention the V-word — she’s already been thinking about it for at least a month. You don’t have to be too elaborate, keep it simple with some takeout and a movie, or cook a romantic dinner together. Just be sure to come bearing gifts — showing up empty-handed is one of the worst things you could do.

After the date, you may find yourself feeling a little disappointed. However, a recent “Single in America” survey conducted by www.match.com found that out of 5,200 single Americans, 49 percent who did not initially find someone attractive fell in love with him or her after becoming best friends. About 71 percent fell in love with someone they did not initially find attractive, but it developed on the basis of having great conversation and mutual interests.

Justin Garcia, a SUNY doctoral fellow in the biology department, is a scientific adviser with the website.

“The take-home message [is:] love is a powerful human drive, but it isn’t always instantaneous — sometimes the best flowers take a little time to bloom,” Garcia said.