Klara Rusinko/Assistant Photo Editor

Located in the heart of the East Side of Binghamton, Czech Pleeze is a “mom and pop”-type establishment that has been serving up house-made Eastern European food for three years now.

When he found himself unemployed, chef and owner Dan McLarney made the not-so-easy transition from graphic designer to restaurant owner. After grappling with the idea of working a job he didn’t feel would be fulfilling in terms of salary, location or enjoyment, he decided to take nearly everything he had in his pockets and open his own restaurant. Not only would Czech Pleeze allow McLarney to stay in Binghamton with his children and granddaughter, it would also bring him back to a home where he had deep roots.

“I really took a shot at this because I didn’t know what else to do,” McLarney said. “I told myself, at least I’m gonna try.”

Taking “everything [he] grew up with,” McLarney puts his heart, soul and almost all of his time into maintaining Czech Pleeze. He serves up fresh, homemade dishes that were instilled in him by his late mother, who stirred up his affinity for cooking before he had even reached double digits. He and his dear friend Michelle are the only two people behind the scenes at Czech Pleeze; if you find yourself at 223 Robinson St. any time other than Restaurant Week (they hire extra staff to meet the demands of Restaurant Week customers), you can be assured that your food was cooked and served to you by McLarney and Michelle. This sense of hard work and homey vibe is evident immediately when you enter Czech Pleeze, and if you somehow miss it, there’s no way it’ll get past you once you taste the pierogi.

Homemade pasta pockets from heaven, pierogi are not the only eastern European treat you’ll get here this week. Whether you’re in for the $12 lunch special or the $16 dinner special, you’ll get an array of options for house-made appetizers, entrées and desserts (try the maple bacon cupcake!).

Czech Pleeze is known throughout Binghamton for its delectable desserts, often rousing round-the-block lines and sold-out menus within weeks of the start of the holiday season. One of McLarney’s favorite stories, which he shared with a smile, is of a woman who purchased two of the last holiday cookie platters from Czech Pleeze. As she left the restaurant, a man in the parking lot offered double the $90 she paid so that he could take the platters home to his own family. This sort of quality and loyalty is resonant of Czech Pleeze’s delicious taste, and the hearts of its fans.

Whether you just want a quick bite to eat, a feast fit for a king or to look at the pictures on the walls, you should check out Czech Pleeze and get far more than your money’s worth in taste, comfort and atmosphere.