John Babich/Pipe Dream Photographer

A rice cooker is a college kitchen staple. It’s compact, easy to use, easy to clean and won’t get you busted for violating the fire code (if your RA doesn’t see it). But the best thing about rice cookers? They aren’t just for rice. You’ve got a whole world of culinary possibilities contained within that little appliance, from mac and cheese to omelets. Hell, you can even make delicious cakes with a rice cooker. Yes, cakes.

Stupidly Easy Vanilla Cake

Perfect for celebrating your suitemate’s birthday or the end of midterms, this cake is moist, delicious and ridiculously easy to make.

Ingredients:

• 1 package of vanilla cake mix
  • Eggs, water and oil (as called for by cake mix)
  • 1 container of chocolate or vanilla frosting

Mix the cake ingredients according to the package instructions. Add batter to rice cooker and press Steam/Cook. Cake will need to bake for about 45 minutes, so you might have to cycle it twice. Once it’s done, the cake will be firm and springy to the touch. Let cool for 10 minutes, slide out of the rice cooker, frost and serve.

Keren’s Creamy Mac and Cheese

This recipe is certified delicious, as tested by my roommates and me.

Ingredients:

• 8 ounces elbow macaroni
  • 2 cups no-salt-added chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 ½ cups two or three-cheese blends (i.e. cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack)

Combine pasta, broth and salt in the rice cooker. Cook for a regular cooking cycle (about 15 to 20 minutes), stirring once or twice to make sure pasta doesn’t stick. Once pasta has cooked and broth is almost completely absorbed, stir in milk, cheese and any add-ins (we recommend bacon). Close lid and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted and mixture is well blended. Serve hot.

Perfect Omelet

You don’t even need a pan or stove to make the perfect omelet.

Ingredients:

• 4 eggs
  • Shredded cheese, vegetables, ham or other preferred fillings

Whisk eggs together until blended well. Spray rice cooker pot with cooking spray, pour in the eggs, close the lid and set to steam for five minutes. After five minutes, open the lid, fill it with cheese or fillings of your choice and fold in half. Slide onto a plate and serve.

Rice Cooker Chicken Curry

For those feeling more ambitious, try out this tasty curry chicken recipe to spice up tonight’s dinner.

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoon curry powder
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (8 ounce) package Zatarain’s jambalaya mix
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • ¾ cup plain yogurt
  • 1/3 cup chopped cashews

Set rice cooker to regular cooking cycle, place oil in pan and add onions and garlic. Cook for five minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is tender. Add curry power; cook and stir for two minutes. Add water, tomato sauce, jambalaya mix and chicken. Mix well. Close lid and cook until chicken is thoroughly cooked (about 1-2 regular cooking cycles). Turn off rice cooker, stir in yogurt and let stand for five minutes. Sprinkle with cashews and serve.

Just Rice

You have to be stupid to fuck this up.

• 1 cup rice
  • 1-2 cups water, depending on rice type

Put in the rice cooker. Close lid. Press the button. Wait. You now have rice.