TV

1. “The Walking Dead” (AMC)

Although “The Walking Dead” is a serious television drama centered on a zombie apocalypse, this show is mostly about human relationships and how people would act in a world ruled by the dead. There are plenty of gruesome moments for horror enthusiasts and plenty of suspense for action lovers.

2. “Supernatural” (The CW)

Join Sam and Dean Winchester as they hunt vampires, zombies, ghosts, demons, angels and even Satan himself. Catch up on all seven seasons for a frightful week of television.

3. “True Blood” (HBO)

In case the costumes you’ll see on Halloween night aren’t sexy enough, “True Blood” has you covered. This show features gratuitous sex and nudity, and throws vampires, werewolves, shape-shifters, witches and even more monstrous creatures into the mix.

4. “American Horror Story” (FX)

A more heart-pounding, anxiety-driven attempt at horror than the other items on this list, this show involves a haunted house and the freaky shadows and characters lurking around. It’s perfect for those who just want to cut straight to being scared.

Movies

1. “Night of the Living Dead” (1968)

This is the first — and arguably the best — zombie movie ever created. More than 40 years later, it still presents a world and atmosphere that surpass most zombie movies made today. Seriously, just watch it.

2. “The Exorcist” (1973)

The definitive horror movie. Some will say the movie hasn’t aged very well, but you can’t deny the appeal of a movie featuring a demon-possessed girl terrorizing her family. Love it or hate it, you can see the footprints it has left on every horror movie made afterward.

3. “The Thing” (1982)

An alien parasite makes its way to Earth to inhabit the bodies of humans. With an original and frightening monster, an unnerving setting and plenty of Kurt Russell, this movie is just the right amount of badass for Halloween.

4. “Insidious” (2011)

Sure, the main monster is a demon that looks a lot like Darth Maul from “Star Wars.” And, yes, it does feature a laughable ghost that resembles Johnny Depp. But what this movie brings to the table is a disturbing and modern scary story in a time when the genre has grown stale.

Video Games

1. “Amnesia: The Dark Descent” (PC)

With no weapons to wield, you must explore an ancient and dimly-lit castle while evil forces ruthlessly hunt you down. This is as scary as a game can get. Go ahead, just try playing this with the lights off.

2. “Limbo” (PS3/360)

You play as a young boy as he searches for his sister in the gloomy afterlife. While not outright terrifying, this downloadable title is creepy enough to deserve a play-through this Halloween.

3. “Dead Space 2” (PS3/360)

It might not be as unsettling and stressful as the original, but the action mixes well with the horror and you’re left with a terrifying sci-fi experience.

4. “Alan Wake” (360)

You play as a novelist who becomes trapped in the world of his own stories. Armed with only a flashlight, you’ll have to make your way through episodic levels and face your darkest fears.