There’s nothing quite like Halloween. It’s a time when your identity crisis will seem like good old fun, when you’ll be encouraged to take candy from that stranger in his unmarked white van. You can walk from house to house collecting some of the best treats known to man, from those dollar store butterscotch hard candies to the good stuff, like Reese’s and Snickers. If you’re a college student, however, people may not take too kindly to your habit of elbowing 7-year-olds out of the way so you can fill up your bag. Here are some alternatives to make sure your Halloween is top-notch.

1. Go Downtown

This is almost a given. Going to the lovely State Street on Halloween is a tradition here in Binghamton. This can feel just like trick-or-treating, except you’re collecting drinks, not candy. Ask for bottled beer and save the bottles in a bag for even more fun.

2. Dress as a group with your friends

When we were kids, having great costumes, especially as a group, was key to making the other children feel bad about their boring get-ups. It also helped secure the fullest bags of candy. The candy part may be gone, but you can still make other people look bad. Grab a couple of friends and have a themed look, like superheroes or dinner table condiments.

3. Make your own treats

Forget those petty adults who are being stingy with the Jolly Ranchers. You can make your own treats at home, with the added benefit of knowing you won’t find a sharp metal object in the middle of your cupcake. Try making some Halloween-themed cupcakes or cookies. Nothing says Halloween like badly-frosted pastries.

4. Take a neighbor’s kid trick-or-treating

This is supposed to be a list of alternatives to trick-or-treating, but hey, if you can’t beat them, join them. Instead of embarrassing yourself by roaming around your neighborhood alone asking for candy, ask a neighbor or family member if you can take their child out instead. Most parents will be thrilled to stay inside and drink spiked cider anyway. Just don’t be pushy or creepy, or you’ll find yourself on the list of people who can’t come within 20 feet of a school.

5. Don’t celebrate Halloween

If it bothers you so much that you can’t trick-or-treat, it’s possible you have a serious psychological problem and shouldn’t be a part of such a large public event anyway. Put down the mask and get some help.