One of the highlights Binghamton University’s Homecoming weekend is the annual Black Student Union Fashion Show. Unlike the fashion shows that took place at the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York City last week, the BSU fashion show will be showcasing designs from up-and-coming designers as a fundraiser for the Black Student Union Youth Program.

The BSU youth program was created for BU students to work with Broome County youth, ages 5 through 13. It provides fun and unique ways to promote the values of self-awareness, determination, education, responsibility and unity.

“Our main goal is for the children who attend, [the youth program] to consider Binghamton University their ‘weekend home away from home,'” explained Anasstaja Burgher, a junior majoring in sociology.

Burgher is also the social cultural coordinator of BSU. She has played a large role in organizing the event and will do so for other social or cultural events held by the BSU in the future.

“We hope to foster a sense of mentorship based on friendship coupled with positive role models,” she said.

Set to take place at 7 p.m. tomorrow in the Anderson Center, the objective of the youth program coincides nicely with “Rebe11e,” the theme of the show.

“Rebe11e should convey boldness, excitement, fearlessness and, most of all, confidence,” Burgher said.

These positive characteristics of being a rebel evoke self-expression and individualism, not only in the way you dress but also in your beliefs and social interactions. Rarely is the ideology behind a fundraiser as fitting for the place where the proceeds are going.

“We are not telling our youth to rebel against doing what’s right, but rather to not be afraid of rebelling against those actions that are wrong,” Burgher said.

Continuing the emphasis on community, some of the clothing featured in the show has been designed by BU students such as Brianna Friia, whose designs have been featured in the Fashion Industry Club show. Also featured are a group of students who call their line “Acris,” and a BU and BSU alumna, Ashley Nunez, who is coming all the way from Los Angeles to show her line, “Weirdo Inc.” Other designers will include Je Suis NYC, Aussie and Davis, created by student jewelry designers from Howard University and two others who do not have labels.

The models on the catwalk will be BU students who are active members in BSU. In addition, Julius Ojo, an undergraduate student, and Janet Mejia, an alumna and former BSU Executive Board member, will be hosting the show.

BSU is selling tickets for $14. The event will be a great opportunity for current students and alumni to connect in a fun, meaningful and entertaining environment.