Tycho McManus/Assistant Photo Editor

As students living in this town, we usually tend to stay between the confines of State Street, never truly venturing farther than Leroy or Chestnut. For those who are willing to take that first step outside of the “University Bubble,” however, there are definite hidden treasures that wait. One of these places is none other than Gallagher’s Irish Pub, a home-cooked haven in a world of Paneras and Chipotles.

Located at 92 Robinson St., Gallagher’s offers everything from classic bar food to some atypical specialties, and this Restaurant Week, Gallagher’s knocks it out of the park. This is Gallagher’s third year participating in the festivities, and hungry patrons can get a three-course dinner for $25, complete with an entrée, a dessert and a choice of salad, soup, beer or wine.

Starting dinner off with a delicious salad, it was clear that this meal wouldn’t consist of your run-of-the-mill wings and celery sticks. Topped with goat cheese and grilled peaches, the appetizer was both an original and delicious starter. The entrée choices consisted of chicken colcannon (a butter-sauce-topped chicken breast with a side of mashed potatoes infused with vegetables), pork chops in peach liqueur sauce (with a side of garlic mashed potatoes and roasted butternut squash) or beef tenderloin in a béarnaise sauce (with a side of green beans and cinnamon yams). The beef dish was mouthwatering and came at a generous portion. It was juicy and tender, and everything that you need in an entrée. Having snuck a bite of my friend’s chicken, I can only say the same for that meal as well.

Dessert featured homemade pumpkin bread, apple pie cake a la mode and, yes, a dark chocolate bacon cupcake. No, you did not read that wrong.

While this menu is special for Restaurant Week, it reflects the uniqueness of the menu all year round. Your choices can consist of a havarti (a type of Danish cheese) and sun dried tomato cheesecake, bacon wrapped garlic bread sticks and homemade Perogies – and those are just appetizers. Gallagher’s offers spiedies, a filet mignon sandwich and an eight-cheese macaroni and cheese.

If you don’t take a visit for the food (although you should), the atmosphere is a pleasure in and of itself. Upon entering, you are greeted by people who feel so at home that you can’t tell if they’re regulars or employees. When I walked in, a man asked if he could help me with anything. After asking him if he worked there, he replied in jovial manner that he did not, but could help me nonetheless.

The easygoing ambiance is clearly reflected in the personality of the owner and chef, Marijo Gallagher. She started the pub three years ago and has also been running a successful catering business, Marilu’s Catering, for around 20 years now. The only thing that rivals her warm personality is the warm, fresh food she serves.

Perhaps the biggest appeal of the restaurant is that it’s not right in the center of State Street. The pub hosts trivia every Tuesday without the hustle and bustle of Tom & Marty’s atmosphere. Bands come and play on the weekends without tearing down the house and drowning out conversation. The aura is great and the cuisine is delicious.

“There’s good food outside of Downtown,” Gallagher said. “You just have to take the five-second drive. It’s a little more relaxed on this side of town. You can come in and enjoy a nice dinner for two.”