This past September, I was lucky enough to partake in my first music festival. Friends eagerly informed me that the coveted music festival was a surreal experience, filled with new friends, live music and camping. After spending hours packing up the necessities and a few more driving upstate, I finally arrived, only to spend even more time waiting in line to secure a parking pass and wristband. Next, I was directed to security check-in where I waited on another endless line that ended in a brisk and uninviting full body pat down.

Camping gear weighing me down, I trudged along to the tent area, eagerly hunting for a patch of dirt to call my own amidst the thousands of other tents. I wondered when this festival was supposed to transform into the experience of a lifetime. After setting up camp, my friend and I ventured over to the stage area. As we neared the top of the hill, several stages came into view and music was heard all around. Strewn all over the field, festival-goers danced and swayed to the beats. At last, immersed in full throttle festival culture, I ran down the hill to join in.

As the warm summer months rapidly approach, festivals are being announced by the day. Greatly varying in location, price and music genre, it looks like this summer’s festivals will offer up a little something for everyone.

The architect of indie music festivals, Bonnaroo, draws in thousands of festival-goers each year. Located on a 700-acre farm in Tennessee, the festival lasts four days and brings out some of the biggest names in music. In honor of its 10-year anniversary, Roo’s got some pretty notable acts coming down this June. Although the lineup is smaller in comparison to past years, the artists scheduled to play are high in quality. Eminem, Lil Wayne, The Decembrists and recent Grammy winner Arcade Fire are just some of the acts that will be heading down to ‘Roo this June.

Celebrating only its second anniversary this May, HangOut Music Fest is making quite a splash on the festival scene, and that’s because concert goers will literally be getting wet. Located in the Gulf Shores of Alabama, HangOut’s stages are located directly on white sandy beaches. Instead of tents, patrons have the option of lodging in condos and hotels dotted across the pristine shoreline. Featuring diverse musical acts such as the Foo Fighters, The Black Keys, Pretty Lights and Umphreys McGee, this will be one festival that you don’t want to miss out on.

For those who don’t want to make the trek down south and are looking for the full festival experience, there are plenty of options to choose from on the east coast. Mountain Jam, one of New York’s more popular festivals, will be taking place at Hunter Mountain in early June. The lineup includes My Morning Jacket, Gov’t Mule, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, among others.

Other East Coast festivals to watch out for include Camp Bisco, All Good, Nateva and Gathering of the Vibes.

Another noteworthy festival is Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. Located in Indio, Calif., the festival lasts for three days and is so packed out with bands that this year’s festival sold out in less than a week. Boasting some of the biggest names in music, the lineup features acts such as Kings of Leon, Kanye West, The Strokes and Duran Duran.

If hard rock infused with scream-o, top forty and rap sounds appealing, then look no further then The Bamboozle. The New Jersey festival lasts for three days and features acts such as Lil Wayne, Taking Back Sunday and A Day to Remember.

Costing upwards of $100 for a multi-day ticket, make sure to save up if you’re planning on attending a festival. Although a bit pricey, difficult to plan and at times quite rugged, a music festival is truly an out of this world experience.

Brett Stack, a junior majoring in philosophy, politics and law, seemed to agree with this sentiment.

“After going to Mountain Jam last year, I definitely look forward to going to more festivals this summer,” Stack said. “It was so nice to hang out and camp with friends while discovering a ton of new music.”

The aforementioned festivals barely scratch the surface of what’s in store for the rest of 2011. For a full list, check out Consequence of Sound’s Festival Outlook’s website, festival-outlook.consequenceofsound.net/index/page:1.

You never know what you might find!