For a lot of us, winter means losing the ability to care about what we look like. But it doesn’t have to be that way. It’s time to lift your spirits and make that face sparkle like the snow itself (just not when it becomes slushy and gray — that’s gross) with these makeup tips:

Start with the foundation. Applying the foundation has two main rules. First: Make sure you are using a color that matches your skin tone. It will be obvious and tacky-looking if you choose a color that is two shades too dark. Second: Less is more. No one wants to see a girl whose face is unnaturally orange and cakey — and if you hug someone, they’ll be unwillingly tagged with leftover orange residue on their face, or even on their clothing. Not cool. The best thing to do is use a brush to apply light bronzer along your cheekbones and a very light blush. This will give you that extra glow without looking like a scary Barbie doll. In this weather especially, make sure to moisturize daily. Dry skin is not fun. Take care of your skin so that it’s healthy, soft and smooth. If you moisturize, you may find that foundation isn’t really necessary after all.

Next is the eyeshadow — the best part! This is your chance to be creative and add some much-needed color to your ensemble. With your palette, choose a base color that matches the outfit you’re wearing. For instance, if it’s pink, choose a hot or deep pink as the base and rub it in the outer most corner of your eye. Always use the darker color on the outside so you can have a cool blended rainbow effect as you move toward the inner corner of your eye. Working with the pink, next choose a lighter, more shimmery pink, and apply it from the middle of your lid to the inner corner; be sure to blend it with the darker pink so it goes from dark to light. Don’t be afraid to experiment while also pulling in the reins when you need to. You might want to try some white or light yellow in the corner of your eye for that extra pop, or some light purple. That being said, there’s no need to put 10 colors on your eyelid. The best colors for the winter are pastels: pink, purple, cream or — dare we say — gray.

Now for eyeliner and mascara. Please, for everyone’s sake, don’t go attempting cat eyes. It doesn’t work. The best thing to do is have a smooth line of medium thickness that follows the curvature of your upper lid. If you want to have a small tail at the end, that’ll work as long as it’s small and simple. Felt tips are probably the best to use for this effect and won’t smudge against your upper lid throughout the day. Your bottom lid can be done at your discretion. A thin, black pencil line will finish the look nicely, but only if it’s not dark and exaggerated. As for mascara, it depends on your lashes and what you like. If you already have dark, long lashes, apply only a little. For those with smaller, lighter lashes, make sure you use a brush that doesn’t clump; otherwise, your lashes will look freakish.

The finishing touch: lipstick! Gloss is out, and lipstick/lip stain is in. If you’re going Downtown, deep red is always classy. It complements a lot of outfits, particularly black clothing. However, the red shouldn’t always be your go-to. Sometimes too much is too much, and it’ll be obvious that you’re using the lipstick to draw attention. Try a bubblegum pink or even a deep, sultry brown. Again, you have to be your own judge (or you can ask your roommates) because unfortunately, not every color works for everybody. Know what complements your skin tone and what you’re wearing.

This may all sound like a lot of time and effort, but in reality, this routine should only take about 10 minutes total (for a school day — feel free to spend hours in front of the mirror before going Downtown). Remember, you know yourself better than anyone else. If you’re not a fan of wearing makeup, stick to your guns, girl. But on the other hand, if you find yourself struggling in this gloomy, arctic weather and you’re wondering what you can do to brighten up your look, your mood and your day, try some of these tips!