Winter’s getting old. It’s about time we retire our salt-stained boots and our coats, bursting at the seams with loose feathers from constant use and abuse. They have served us well, but as spring approaches, we must prepare our wardrobe for a brighter future. For our source of inspiration, we should direct our attention to New York City, which just hosted Fashion Week, where the biggest names in fashion set the precedent for what will be hitting the racks this spring. New York Fashion Week is nothing short of overwhelming and honestly, who here is reckless enough to buy one designer dress rather than pay their tuition? Instead, here’s a compilation of the most noteworthy trends to grace the runway and affordable alternatives that won’t break bank.

Be Bold

No more black, girlies — darkness has passed. It’s now time for bold, bright colors. Saturation is key; we are looking for the reddest of reds and the boldest of blues. Keep the silhouette simple, since bright colors will be too overwhelming when paired with complicated pieces. This Topshop crepe dress follows the golden rule: elegant but simple. Its easy construction will keep you comfy, while the orange will make you pop.

Live in 3D

It’s time to embellish your life. The runways were covered in sequins and embellishments, but no glitter bombs were involved. For those of you who don’t shy away from sparkle, this is a great trend to glam up your closet. Since most of us don’t have a gala to wear this Bottega Veneta gown to, this cute fit and flare dress from ASOS provides the same luxe spirit for a night out on the town.

Crinklesbut

Pleats, pleats and more pleats. Pleated skirts of all lengths are all the rage this season. Not only are pleated skirts incredibly versatile and universally flattering, but they are also a great way to incorporate texture into your wardrobe. They combine the ease and grace of chiffon with a durable structure that will allow you to flow through your day worry- and wrinkle-free. This Zara asymmetrical skirt is a dead ringer for its Céline counterpart for a fraction of the price.

Go Graphic

Your surest way to be chic this season is with bold graphic prints. Express your inner artist with loud tops and dresses in abstract and striking designs. Don’t let prints intimidate — they are statement pieces that do all the work for you, requiring little to no styling. Although these two designs are at opposite extremes when it comes to price points, they are actually by the same designer. Renowned designer Peter Pilotto just launched a line with Target earlier this month, so now anyone can dive into prints.

Precious Metals

Jump into the future with reflective fabrics. For an effortless luxurious look this spring, embrace metallic. The catwalk shined and gleamed with gorgeous shades of gold, silver and various jewel tones. For this look, drapey, flowy pieces are preferable to tight ones. These high-sheen fabrics will cascade beautifully, giving you an air of grace and opulence. For a more casual take on this trend, try just one metallic piece like this silver tank from Urban Outfitters.