Are you a virgin?

The college atmosphere may provide the perfect location for young people to give in to their hormones, especially with parents far away.

According to a survey Pipe Dream conducted, 80 percent of Binghamton University students surveyed have had sex before and 42 percent have sex at least once a week.

Laura*, a junior, has decided to stay a virgin until marriage.

“I do feel that in college there is the pressure to have sex in order to get closer to a guy or girl in order to get that person interested in them,” Laura said. “People think that because it’s college, everyone is hooking up and having sex because that is what is portrayed in the media.”

Though Laura has made a conscious decision not to have sex, she admits that there is a downside.

“Not knowing whether you’re compatible with someone sexually [is worrisome],” Laura said. “The optimist in me thinks it won’t matter as long as you love the person, but that’s something I don’t know for sure.”

Courtney*, a sophomore, is also a virgin and said she does not feel judged or influenced by her peers.

“I don’t really care, honestly. It’s a personal choice and I don’t see it being anyone else’s business,” Courtney said. “When it happens, it’ll happen. I’m in no hurry.”

Being judged by your sex life — or lack thereof — can be a bit disheartening though. Daniel*, a freshman who is not sexually active, talked about judgements when it comes to sex.

“I feel like guys are more judged for not having sex and some girls think that other girls are like sluts for having sex,” Daniel said. “I think between the genders there’s sort of a stigma on either side.”

Sophomores Brad* and Jennifer* have been dating for about four months. Both are virgins who do not feel pressure from each other to have sex or feel that it is necessary for a successful relationship.

“[Being virgins] gives us something to look forward to. We know for certain that our relationship is about more than just sex and when we finally decide to have sex, we will know we are doing it for the right reasons,” Brad said.

Jennifer agreed.

“I think that sex is something that should come with time. So many people are so ‘sex-focused’ and it’s nice that my boyfriend and I are on the same page in deciding to wait for now,” Jennifer said. “Not having sex from the beginning has given us time to appreciate everything else about our relationship.”

*Names have been changed.