Provided by Lionsgate

The odds were ever in favor of “The Hunger Games” fans last weekend, as the second installment in the series, “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,” was released in theaters nationwide. This time, Katniss and Peeta are once again forced to fight for their lives at the will of their oppressive government, the Capitol. The movie begins with our two heroes getting ready to tour the districts after winning the last Hunger Games, and what follows are two and a half hours of pure excitement.

Since the release of the first “Hunger Games” film in 2012, both the books and films have gained a large and enthusiastic fan base. “Catching Fire” grossed $158 million this weekend in the United States. At the AMC Loews in Town Square Mall, students and Binghamton residents alike showed up in their best “Hunger Games” attire to experience the event.

Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson captivated the audience into their attitudes of defiance and moments of fear. Lawrence captured Katniss Everdeen’s spirit, while somehow managing to remain true to the down-to-earth personality she’s known for in real life. Hutcherson’s performance as Peeta Mellark was both believable and absorbing.

If you don’t see “Catching Fire” to root for Team Peeta or Team Gale (if you are Team Gale, you don’t know what true love is), then go see it for its incredible scenery and special effects.

The stakes are higher this time, with the arena designed as a giant clock. Each passing hour brought new challenges and dangers for the contestants, highlighted by various visual effects. “Catching Fire” had gigantic tidal waves, swarms of birds, monkeys, poisonous fog clouds and finally the climatic destruction of the arena sky. Color was carefully used throughout the film to create a great distinction between the luxury of the Capitol and the extreme poverty of the surrounding districts.

The movie featured elaborate costumes, from Katniss’ elaborate wedding dress to Effie Trinket’s extravagant wig. Trinket was played by Elizabeth Banks and provided some comic relief through her outrageous outfits and over-the-top mannerisms. While Trinket’s ambitions were vague at the movie’s beginning, her heart and compassion were evident by the movie’s end. Johanna Mason, portrayed by Jena Malone, was another strong character, increasing the sense of humanity among the tributes, despite the hostile competition. Her lines were full of wit and delivered with boldness and sass.

Many were concerned that this film would be inconsistent with the first, due to Gary Ross stepping down as director and Francis Lawrence taking his place. The transition, however, went off without a hitch and if anything was for the better. The film remained fast-paced and rarely suffered a dull moment. While “The Hunger Games” had a camera that couldn’t stay still and obscured what happened onscreen, “Catching Fire” was able to give the same sense of urgency while maintaining clarity.

While the novel trilogy ended, there are still two more movies to go, with “Mockingjay,” the third book, being split up into two different films. “The Hunger Games” is here, and it’s not going away anytime soon. Whether you’ve read the books or not, this movie is a must-see over Thanksgiving break.