Tyler Constance/Staff Photographer

It’s almost December, which means that the leaves have fallen, finals are approaching and you can’t tell which will hit zero first — the temperature or your meal plan. The end of fall means that all the money you made slaving away as a waiter or lifeguard in your hometown this summer is nearing its end. You’re already considering how to avoid the desperate scramble for five bucks just to get into the Rat, and how a trip to the Lost Dog Café could become more than a fantasy. It’s time to consider picking up another extracurricular activity: a job. Release tracked down the best and most lucrative positions on campus.

5. Water Safety Instructor — This job is something of a double-edged sword, but it made the list because starting pay is $11.60 an hour. Job description includes holding weekly swim lessons for children and adults. For the average swimmer it is generally regarded as an easy way to make big money. Now for the downside: You’ll need an American Red Cross Certification for Water Safety Instructor. If you’ve got that, then start applying! For those who don’t, however, such a class could cost around $500. The investment could be worthwhile, though, as certified swim instructors are sought after year-round.

4. University Bookstore clerk — While this job generally pays minimum wage, it makes the list for other reasons. For those looking for a job with a variety of important responsibilities, the bookstore employs students to administer and collect textbooks, work at the register, help customers or restock inventory.

“For me, working at the bookstore is great,” wrote Peter Kenigsberg, a senior double-majoring in English and philosophy, politics and law. “The hours are very reasonable with the ability to take on one or more shifts at four hours apiece. I’ll be honest, it’s tough during the start or end of a semester because of textbook buying and returning respectively. But throughout the remainder of the semester, it’s a very comfortable environment to work in. After renovations are done next semester along with the new “Marketplace,” working at the bookstore will probably become one of the most attractive student jobs on campus.”

If you can handle the first few weeks of textbook season, then this may be the job for you! And new opportunities will become available with the new expansions in the spring.

3. Tour guide — Maybe you’ve overheard as they discussed Binghamton’s delicious dining options or our claim to fame, Flo the Progressive Lady. Almost every student here has seen, if not taken, one of these famous campus tours. The job pays minimum wage, but is very much enjoyed by those who take it.

“I love being a tour guide,” wrote Ashley Zachariah, a junior majoring in English. “I started off as a summer tour guide and am now a year round tour guide. Being a tour guide is the best experience I’ve had here at Binghamton. I’ve met so many nice people and have learned so much about Binghamton University. And i earn $7.25 an hour (before taxes).”

This job is great for anyone who is outgoing and loves to meet new people. Employees say that hours are accommodating and that the job is a great addition to a resume.

2. Tutor — Tutoring is a great position for anyone who’s passionate about a class that they have taken. If you meet the grade requirements, tutoring only requires an application, an interview and the will to teach! Tutors can work in small groups, give review sessions and offer walk-in hours, all while making $9.75 an hour. In addition, this job is an opportunity to help students and to be an active, helpful part of the BU academic community.

1. Off Campus College Transport worker — This job is rumored to be one of the highest-paying jobs on campus, and it isn’t without warrant. Drivers start working for $9 per hour and can earn up to $14. Drivers generally work two-hour shifts, so finding time to make some extra cash won’t be a problem. Yes, there is training, but it’s well worth the result.

“There was enough training, it wasn’t a lot, it wasn’t a little,” said Evan Flury, a senior double-majoring in music and history. “They are really flexible … any time you have, they work around that. It’s oddly therapeutic, which isn’t something you’ll hear a lot of people say. Yes, there is a management system, but I get on my bus, I do my runs, I do my job … and the pay is good.”

For those who aren’t into driving, those employed as bus monitors can make anywhere from $8 to $12 on Friday and Saturday nights. If you are strong of will and deal well with the inebriated, then you might be helpful in keeping order as buses make the holy pilgrimage to State Street.

Binghamton is full of opportunities, but they do go fast! Make sure to periodically check out BU’s eRecruiting site to find out about all the available jobs in the spring. In addition, B-Line notifies students about applications for certain positions, such as tour guide. If you’re looking to make some extra dough, then get applying, get working and then you can blow it all Downtown.