Daniel O?Connor/Photo Editor

While it may not feel like it, spring 2011 is quickly approaching and so are the latest fashion trends. College students can adopt the runway look without the runway cost. Check out our favorite trends and where to get them.

Nautical nonsense

Channel your inner sailor this season with hints of nautical elements. You don’t want to look like you just walked off the boat, but navy and white stripes or a comfortable pair of Sperry Topsiders are a great way to channel this trend. (Tunic: Uniqlo)

That 70s show

After becoming infatuated with the “Mad Men” style of the 50s and 60s, designers turned to the decade of disco this spring. Complete the look with wide-legged pants and a funky pattern. (Top: Wrangler vintage, pants: Ann Taylor)

Sheer genius

The runway was full of sheer pieces this time around. But while wearing a see-through skirt wouldn’t be practical for Lecture Hall or your trek Downtown, a sheer top with a complimentary tank underneath is a much more realistic way to pull off this trend. (Top: BCBGeneration)

Playful patterns

A popular trend for spring 2011, bold patterns are definitely in. Geometric shapes, polka dots, stripes, anything you can think of. And don’t be afraid to mix and match different patterns — it’s all the rage on the runway. Plaid is also a popular trend. Try something with a unique pattern and bold colors, and you will definitely stand out in the crowd. (Dress: Forever 21)

Handbags in the hand

Every girl has that huge purse that carries anything a person could possibly need and a bunch of other unnecessary things. Well, ditch the purse and go get a clutch. Bags that can be held in the hand are very popular among designers. Just pack the basic essentials, grab the bag and go. There is a wide variety of clutches in different colors and designs that are perfect for the daytime or a night out. (Clutch: 579)