If spending a warm spring evening outside while watching live music and hanging with friends sounds like a highly enjoyable activity, then Go Folk Yourself. Yes, you’ve heard correctly — Go Folk Yourself.

WHRW, Binghamton University’s campus radio station, has transformed an old and familiar profane saying into a free weekly concert series filled with local talent, dancing and fun. The series started in fall 2010 as a way to expose students to some of the great music of Binghamton and the Southern Tier while raising community involvement with campus activities.

Christopher Bodnarczuk, creator of Go Folk Yourself and WHRW’s Folk Department head, was on a mission to bring local talent to campus.

“I’ve been here for three years, and there’s such a disconnect between music on campus and in town. There are a lot of great local musicians, and I want to give them exposure on campus, and bring the talent to students,” said Bodnarczuk, a senior double-majoring in English and creative writing. “It is my hope to broaden horizons and help the community in which I live — both the city and the University — to thrive artistically.”

Bodnarczuk had the idea to start the series last spring when he saw a performance going on in the Dickinson Amphitheater.

“I saw it and said, ‘This would be the perfect location for a concert,'” Bodnarczuk said. “And that’s how Go Folk Yourself began.”

After a great deal of planning last summer and a stamp of approval from the WHRW board, Go Folk Yourself was officially underway by the start of the fall semester.

Performers will take the stage at 6 p.m. every Wednesday. Because of its outdoor location, the series is contingent upon the weather and can only take place during the select few weeks of the year when Binghamton temperatures are actually bearable.

The first series ran from late September to late October and saw a great turnout.

Boasting a wide variety of musicians, Go Folk Yourself features a little something for everyone. Not only sticking to the folk label, the series has featured a diverse array of genres including rock, country and psychedelic.

Dutch Bucket System, DR. E.F. and Holy Ghost Tent Revival were just some of the big acts that came out for Go Folk Yourself last semester.

This semester’s lineup has branched out a bit and features quite an impressive roster of musicians. Having been underway for a few weeks, Hee Haw Nightmare from Ithaca and Digger Jones from Cortland have already taken the stage. If you’ve missed any of the previous performances then have no fear. The series doesn’t end until May 11, and there are still some pretty impressive acts that will be making the trek up to Binghamton.

The next performers, husband and wife duo Nate and Kate, are set to take the stage on April 27. Not only ridiculously talented folk musicians, the two have been known to wow an audience with their highly impressive juggling skills.

Cabinet, a bluegrass act from Scranton, is set to perform on May 4 and Driftwood, a band comprised of Binghamton natives, will perform the last show in the series on May 11. The Lutheran Skirts performance was cancelled due to rain on April 13, but will be rescheduled for a later date.

Because many perceive folk music to be boring and outdated, Bodnarczuk hopes that the event will help to broaden students’ musical horizons.

“Folk music has expanded ridiculously in the last 30 years. It’s no longer just about one guy with a banjo — it’s party music. We haven’t booked a single band that you can sit still to.”

But it is not only about love and appreciation for music. Go Folk Yourself also promotes itself as a way to spend time with friends while coming together as a community.

Ryan Naru, WHRW’s PR director and general manager elect, believes that Go Folk Yourself is the best way to get involved in the area’s music scene without having to leave campus.

“This is raw musical talent at its finest,” said Naru, a sophomore majoring in economics. “It’s also about the community atmosphere, having people come out to listen to music and spend the night together outside, that’s really what the folk series and WHRW is about.”

So next time you’re bored on a Wednesday night, don’t just sit around your dorm surfing the Web. Instead, venture over to the Dickinson Amphitheater to rock out to some unbelievable local talent.

“The Amphitheater’s just got a great open atmosphere. If you’re there, you’re there to have a good time,” Bodnarczuk said.

However, the creator of the event gives concert attendees just one warning: “Please folk responsibly.”