Franz Lino / Staff Photographer

Saying that Binghamton isn’t known for its luxurious bars and clubs is an understatement. But, looking closer, there’s actually something special hidden within every hole-in-the-wall bar where we like to spend our Friday and Saturday nights.

Guaranteed to mask the smells of bathrooms’ clogged toilets and serve as beer goggles for any drunk coed looking to get some, the beverages of Downtown are unique to each bar. Paradigm, Tom & Marty’s, the Rat and JT’s Tavern all have signature drinks that will test both your taste buds and your tolerance. Good luck.

Paradigm:

Do you have literally nowhere else to go, or are you living in 2011 when Paradigm was popular? Well, either way, you’re in luck. Paradigm, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, offers several $2 specials that are pretty much impossible to pass up. Draft beers and the sweet and subtly strong Jolly Rancher mixed drink are offered at this unbelievably low price.

Paradigm is also open during the day, unlike most of the places on State Street, including Pasquale’s, so if you did badly on your test or want to watch an obscure TBS show — subtitles and all — with Binghamton’s classiest locals, get up and get an early start on the specials.

Tom & Marty’s:

Tom & Marty’s: the home of the athletes, those who hook up with athletes and people who think they’re better than the Rat. Many of these athletes and elitists prefer Tom &Marty’s most popular drink and reminder of the land we all hail from, Long Island Iced Tea.

Not only does this mixed drink provide the perfect amount of energy for next day’s practice, but also it barely tastes like alcohol! With one part vodka, one part gin, one part rum, one part tequila and one part triple sec, two and a half ounces each, this blended death wish is a guaranteed buzz. Keeping it classy, Tom & Marty’s combines this five-part drink with power mix and Coke, with lemon garnish as a finishing touch.

“It tastes like iced tea, but will get you really f***ed up,” said Larry Shea, Tom & Marty’s’ owner.

The Rat:

Need a good drink special? If so, the Rat is the place for you. The specials are what most people go for, particularly the $3.50 Jägerbombs and $2 shots. A lot of people, however, are committed to one drink, since the Rat is probably the bar that attracts the most regulars. Said regulars also happen to be incessant Jägerbombers.

This ever so popular Jägerbomb is a simple combination of a shot of Jäger combined with one of the energy drinks Monster or Red Bull. Does Red Bull from the Rat give you rat wings? Another popular drink at the Rat, frequently ordered by people who aren’t as drunk as their friends and want to hit that level ASAP, is the classic Long Island Iced Tea, made with several different alcohols and a sour mix.

JT’s Tavern:

JT’s Tuesdays are infamous for two things: free entry and fishbowls. The fluorescent color of the fishbowl is bright enough to attract girls from across the bar to any handsome boy holding the drink. And its multiple straws are perfect for flirting while sipping.

We’d like to believe that this 15-shot brew is evenly distributed between its drinkers, but unfortunately, this is never the case. There’s always that one person who sipped on his or her straw just a little too long. This unlucky soul ends up spending the rest of the night in the bathroom wishing they were a better sharer.

Not following any particular recipe, the fishbowl can range in cost and alcoholic content.

“It’s basically your average secondhand schlep of mixed vodkas and sours,” said bouncer Pat Zagarino. Now who wouldn’t want to drink that?