Provided

On Nov. 12, Binghamton University students will celebrate equal rights Macklemore-style. Mary Lambert, the female vocalist from Macklemore’s “Same Love,” will be performing at 7:30 p.m. in the University Union. Booking Lambert isn’t only exciting for campus, but also a great pull for Rainbow Pride Union and the LGBTQ population at Binghamton.

“Our biggest event is typically the Drag Show in spring semester, but I wanted to create a focal event for the fall semester too, hence booking Mary Lambert,” said Donald Lodge, director of Rainbow Pride Union and a senior double-majoring in Chinese and political science. “I think that this event will show that we aren’t just a small irrelevant club that only deals with LGBTQ community, but allies and the straight community as well.”

Lambert is a Seattle-based singer-songwriter and spoken poetry artist. Her single, “She Keeps Me Warm,” is sampled by Macklemore on “Same Love.” Lambert addresses her difficult childhood in her music, from being raised Christian to coming out at 17 years old. She uses songwriting as an escape and, in the process, has helped other troubled teens as well.

“It will be a standing room only show that is very emotional,” Lodge said. “She frequently says that she cries during her performances, and she loves her audience to cry with her. It will be an intimate performance with her and a piano and a microphone.”

“Same Love” was recorded in 2012 during Washington Referendum 74, which allowed same-sex couples to marry in the state of Washington. Since then, the track has arguably become the most well-known anthem for gay rights and equality. It is the first Top 40 song in the U.S. to promote and celebrate same-sex marriage. In addition, Lambert will be accompanied by an opening act to be announced.

“There will be a short opener by a student performer, that is yet to be named,” Lodge said. “So stay tuned to RPU’s Facebook for other announcements!”

Tickets will go on sale at 6 p.m. on Oct. 28 in UUW-302. They will also be available in the RPU office and at RPU tabling events, so check B-Line for those dates and times. There are only 200 tickets available at $5 each. And for every ticket sold, $1 will go to the Identity Youth Center for LGBTQ teens in the Binghamton area. So pick up your ticket as soon as you can, because straight, gay or whatever makes you happy, it’s sure to be an incredible night.