Because Binghamton University is known largely for its affordability, its academics and its lack of athletic spirit, many students dismiss the idea of spending time in a foreign country. Most of the time, however, it’s simply because they don’t know enough about it and assume it’s too challenging to make it happen. In the hopes of shedding some light on one of the greatest opportunities you have in college, here’s some info that might help you decide.

Study Abroad: Why you should go

1. Personal growth: Living on your own in a strange country, handling your own money and making your own travel arrangements force you to act like an adult. Independence and self-reliance come with studying abroad. When you return, tasks like managing $6 for State Street will be even easier.

2. Value to employers: Going abroad actually looks good on a resume. Hiring employers take note of a student who is cultured, mature, confident and open-minded from experiences in a different country.

3. New people: When living in a foreign country, you and the other students on the program are pretty much guaranteed to get to know each other really well, and you’ll probably become friends from bonding over jet lag and weird currencies. You’ll also make friends from foreign countries, which is pretty awesome. You can brag to your Bing friends back home, because to us, New Jersey is a foreign country.

4. See the world: Study abroad programs are known for pushing students to do additional travel. If you’re in Europe, for example, you can go to a different country every weekend, because airfare in Europe is cheaper than the prostitutes.

5. Different courses: When abroad, you have the chance to take classes never offered at Binghamton or classes you never thought about taking. Also, Brit Lit in London is a lot cooler than Brit Lit in Student Wing.

Most Popular Study Abroad Cities

1. London, England

2. Paris, France

3. Barcelona, Spain

4. Sydney, Australia

5. Florence, Italy

Five Fantastic Binghamton Study Abroad Programs

1. Engaging Africa: Ethnography Study in Ghana — This six-credit program takes place during winter session for three weeks in Ghana. Students are offered the chance to study aspects of Ghanaian culture both in and out of the classroom. Fieldwork takes place at hospitals, schools, shrines, palaces, musical events, sacred sites and business environments in order to develop a cultural research project that addresses a topic relevant to the student’s field of study. The program is suitable for all majors.

2. Tropical Forest Workshop in Costa Rica — This workshop is unlike any other study abroad program. Over the summer, students have the opportunity to intern in Costa Rica. The internship will focus on tropical forest ecology, restoration ecology, conservation and techniques for monitoring biodiversity. The program lasts for four weeks in July and consists of one course in addition to field research.

3. Semester-in-London Program — Although designed by the English department, this program is open to all majors. With no classes on Fridays and other classes meeting once a week, it was obviously designed with us in mind. Students will go to the theater regularly, and the classes all have a British focus. Overnight trips to Stonehenge, Bath, Scotland, Normandy and Paris are to be expected.

4. Al Akhawayn University Exchange Program — For either fall or spring semester, or the academic year, students will live on campus at Al Akhawayn University in Morocco, fully integrated with the Moroccan students. The courses include Arabic, North African and Islamic cultures and the university’s professional, science and arts classes.

5. Murdoch University in Perth, Australia — Australia is known to be one of the best places to go abroad. While Sydney is the most famous city in the country, the city of Perth has a whole lot to offer. Western Australia has millions of acres of national parks and reserves, including beaches, gorges and ancient forests. Perth itself is Australia’s sunniest city, as well as being one of the cleanest, safest, least expensive and most beautiful cities on the continent. What’s not to love? This program is offered either semester or for the academic year and is open to all majors.

So there you have it, the ultimate study abroad guide. Before you go, make sure your credits are transferable, and brace yourself for some culture shock. But otherwise, going abroad may be one of the coolest college opportunities you’ll get. So enough reading Release, go sign up now!