Paige Nazinitzky / Managing Editor

Guys, dressing well in college is important. As tempting as it may be, rolling out of bed and into Lecture Hall wearing pajamas isn’t the best way to impress your peers. This lazy-boy sweatpants culture, while ridiculously comfortable, sacrifices a lot in terms of dressing like a man. With these few quick and easy-to-follow steps, you will step up your style and attire and start dressing like the man that you are.

1. Wear real pants to class. Lecture Hall 1 is not one big pajama party, especially not at 8:30 a.m. Trade in those loose and baggy sweatpants for something a little more … denim. Jeans are great, especially in the fall. The darker they are, the nicer they are, though the light wash is making a comeback. You don’t even need to go for broke with pants either. Even the most fashion-backward gentleman is capable of finding a good jeans sale. These days, you have more options than just blue jeans. Try out gray, beige, dark blue, light blue! And as degrees start to fall with the leaves, it’s never a bad time to start acquiring some comfortable, warm and stylish corduroys. Nobody is asking you to wear a three-piece suit to class, but please put on some real pants!

2. Invest in nicer shirts. Now that we have pants out of the way, let’s move on to tops. If polos aren’t really your thing, fall is a great time to break out those button-down flannels. Borrow your neighbor’s iron, or buy “wrinkle-free,” and get ready for some compliments. A blue oxford shirt can also class up a wardrobe. Everybody likes a flannel, especially in the fall. Prone to perspiration? Put on a shirt underneath. It’s getting cold anyway. You might start to welcome the layers.

3. One belt goes a long way. Pants, check. Shirts, check. What else? Belts. It’s almost a proven fact that when someone tucks their shirt in and puts a belt on, they are prone to a compliment. Even if it is just a flannel tucked in with a woven belt, people take notice. And even if you wear it under your shirt and your pants fit you fine, the belt is the accessory that keeps your whole outfit one cohesive, impressive unit. Plus, how hard is it to throw on a belt in the morning? Not hard.

4. Kick aside your sneakers and pick up some real shoes. Good outfits start on good foundations: shoes. Casual sneakers are nice, but don’t you think they’re more geared toward running at the gym? Get some nice casual shoes to wear for walking around campus. Vans, boat shoes, Converse: You know the type. Best of all, the smart shopper can peg some of these beauties for under 50 bucks. However, if your tastes are more refined, a nice pair of loafers, while a bit more expensive, will make your outfit look exponentially more classy. Just remember, black shoes go with black belts and brown shoes go with brown belts, capiche?

5. Fall means sweaters. As the temperature starts to drop, you are going to want to start wearing sweaters. Hoodies have their place. They are comfortable, warm and great for the fall. However, if you are looking for an alternative sweater experience, give the cardigan the old scout’s try. Find one that fits right: snug but fitting. And remember to leave that bottom button open.

6. Fit is key. An important factor to take into consideration with any article of clothing is fit. If the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn’t, don’t. It is really quite simple. A fitting, plain white T-shirt and jeans are going to beat a baggy, ill-fitting button-down shirt any day. Fit is king, and it’s key to any outfit looking nice. Keep things snug, but not tight. If your outfit doesn’t fit right, you’ll just wind up looking sloppy.

7. The scarf, if you are manly enough. Lastly, and this is for the bolder, more self-confident men, is the scarf. The scarf is the perfect finisher for many outfits, and they have the added bonus of keeping your neck warm. Rock it loose, tie it up, loop it, whatever your preference. They’ll make you look cool while keeping you warm and cozy.

Well there it is — a couple quick words of wisdom to turn your life around. If you start dressing like you take yourself seriously, the world will respond likewise. Each of these things will add, maybe, five more minutes to your morning routine. But they are five minutes worth spending. Young sartorialists, you are welcome.