Janine Furtado/Asst. Photo Editor Photo Illustration

Now that the free access week has passed, students must decide if they want to invest in a $180 membership to the East Gym. Luckily, the East Gym has stepped up its game this semester, offering an improved FitSpace and challenging group fitness classes to keep students of all fitness levels satisfied.

Since the renovation and reopening of the East Gym in spring 2012, Campus Rec has continued to upgrade equipment to meet a wide range of students’ fitness needs. Following student suggestions, the strength training areas of FitSpace have been upgraded with thick, recycled rubber flooring that will greatly help with weight impact, saving the floor, the equipment and our ears whenever someone drops their weights. FitSpace is also introducing some new equipment this year, including an Olympic Lifting Platform and Lateral X Trainer machines, which aim to strengthen the general student booty.

“We’re always updating and improving FitSpace so there’s something for everyone,” said Patti Dowd, program coordinator of wellness services and group fitness. “We have something for every fitness level, and there’s a ton of new equipment and classes so students can challenge themselves.”

Despite these improvements, some students take issue with FitSpace’s layout and crowds.

“The gym gets really crowded as the day goes on, especially around six,” said Michael Fortuna, a junior majoring in biology. “You end up scrounging for machines, and it gets really rank in there with all those dudes working out in a small space.”

However, FitSpace isn’t the only place to work out at the East Gym. Group fitness offers intense workout classes that you can take with friends. This fall’s new and improved schedule includes old favorites such as spinning, yoga and Pilates as well as some new titles, which promise variety and intensity to keep students coming back for more.

For early birds, group fitness now offers JOLT, a high-intensity morning workout that energizes you for the rest of the day. Also on the schedule is the infamous R.I.P.P.E.D., another high-intensity workout that combines strength training, choreography and cardio into one kick-ass class.

“Seriously, my butt is always so sore after R.I.P.P.E.D.,” said Yuki Bravo, a junior majoring in psychology. “That and every other muscle in my body. It’s an awesome workout. Jake’s Warrior Workout class is another great one, too.”

For Zumba fans, group fitness is introducing Bokwa, a Zumba-inspired cardio dance workout. The choreography is designed to be easy to follow, fat-burning and fun, perfect for all fitness levels.

Although the membership price may seem intimidating, the East Gym has a lot of great fitness opportunities and facilities for students.

“It’s a great deal in my opinion,” Dowd said. “You’re getting the latest equipment, highly trained instructors and you get to workout with your fellow students. I’d recommend it to everyone.”