Dave Katz/Staff Photographer

Dear incoming freshmen, proud parents, able-bodied grandparents, random cousins and the select few esteemed individuals here for June-July classes: congrats and welcome to summer at Binghamton University! We’re happy to have you. It’s a great time to get intimate with the Southern Tier, especially if you’re here for orientation. So if you’re looking for a place to eat with your parents, with new orientation friends or just alone (hey, orientation isn’t for everyone), then here’s where to go:

Cortese Restaurant: Cortese Restaurant is a gem of old-world Italy and one of Binghamton’s best-kept secrets. Located far into the hard streets of the east-hamtons at 118 Robinson Street, this is a spot for the adventurous family or friend group. But the 15-minute drive from campus is totally worth it. The pasta dishes are legendary, and the pizza is simply the best in the city. It’s sheet pizza done right, the way you always dreamed Nirchi’s could do it. At Cortese, they kill it every time. Might I recommend the tomato and cheese pie or the old fashioned hot pie and buffalo wings for the table? Pies start at $8.25 for eight slices and $5.50 for four, which gives you the option to mix and match. Cortese even has free Wi-Fi for students looking for a summer study spot. (I know because I’ve studied there. It isn’t weird.) Bonus: Cortese is located behind Salvation Army, so stop in for some kitschy, semi-wearable summer threads on your way home!

Location: 118 Robinson Street

Hours: Monday – Wednesday

11:30 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.

Thursday – Saturday

11:30 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.

Sunday 12 p.m. – 9 p.m.

Price: $$

One-Word Review: Yes.

Best Feature: Family-style Italian so good, the Godfather could’ve been shot here. The man AND the movie.

Worst Feature: You haven’t heard of it yet!

Zona & Co. Grille: Since Zona & Co. opened this January, the restaurant has quickly been gaining local street cred. Zona offers a modern twist on American, Southwestern and Mexican cuisine in the heart of Downtown Binghamton. With a transcendent selection of burgers, burritos and beer on tap, the restaurant is quickly becoming the toast of the town. I would gently recommend the mahi-mahi tacos and the burger sliders; both dishes serve as great contemporary takes on the classics. Pro tip: come for dinner, not lunch, because the menu is three times the size. Zona also has a full deck for outdoor seating and live bands, so summer is the perfect time to swing by. Come for dinner, grab a few drinks and stay for the party, because Zona is open until 3 a.m. on the weekends.

Location: 15 Hawley Street

Hours: Mon: 4:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.

Tue – Thu: 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 a.m.

Fri: 11:30 a.m. – 3:00 a.m.

Sat: 4:00 p.m. – 3:00 a.m.

Sun: 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Price: $$$

One-Word Review: Patio.

Best Feature: Patio.

Worst Feature: Slightly expensive for college students, and we are on a budget here, after all. At Binghamton, happiness is a luxury we can barely afford.

Nezuntoz Café: Forget everything you know about local bagels, sandwiches and coffee, because Nezuntoz Café is here to save us all. Pronounced “knees-and-toes,” this neighborhood café is Binghamton’s best lunch spot and a summer obligation.

Upon entering, you’re met with a colored chalkboard menu complete with dozens of bagel and sandwich options. It’s Binghamton’s answer to Cornell’s Collegetown Bagels. And between you and me, we do it better. The Jalepeno hustle, Lox Times Squared and Buffalo Roam are mandatory. Nezuntoz looks like a TV show set, complete with lots of indoor and outdoor seating, and the Café takes Buc$ as an added bonus — I didn’t even realize people use Buc$ anymore! Apparently they do!

Hours: Monday – Thursday 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Friday 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Saturday 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Sunday 7 a.m. -4 p.m.

Price: $$

One-Word Review: Lunch.

Best Feature: Great sandwiches with great names.

Worst Feature: The homemade beverages aren’t worth it. Stick with coffee or something from the cooler, and you’ll be good to go.

Burger Mondays: If you’re looking for the best burger in the tri-cities area, Burger Mondays gets the job done any day of the week. The portions are like ridiculous, and everything on the menu is a hit. But with the oversized portions come oversized prices, making Burger Mondays a great family restaurant. Because if your parents are paying, who really cares? Other than your parents. And get ready to have an intense family-bonding session, because it takes around an hour to get served. Which means 60 minutes of talking to your mom about why you prefer cash to Buc$. More like Burger Tuesdays! Sigh. I’d request the inferno or the buffalo chicken sandwich. But that’s just me.

Location: 23 Henry Street

Price: $$$

Hours: Monday – Thursday: 11:30 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.

Friday – Saturday: 11:30 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.

One-word review: Burgers.

Best Feature: The food is legit.

Worst Feature: The food takes a legit long time.

Side note: I eat at a lot of restaurants alone. But who doesn’t, right? Guys?