Binghamton students have come to love the greasy and expensive Nite Owl food. But now, there’s a better way. The Nite Owl now offers new (still expensive) healthy (kind of) options, including more vegetarian dishes. These specialized dishes aren’t a step up only for vegetarian students, but also for those who are health conscious and want to avoid dangerous late-night snacking.

The egg white pita melt is a smart option if you are looking for something substantial. The egg white scramble is still cooked on the griddle and, with the addition of cheese, is messy and fatty enough to satisfy a drunken craving. In addition, there are various grilled vegetables packed into the pita so you can pretend you’re eating more healthfully than you actually are. The large portion size is also useful for students trying to maximize their meal plans.

If you’re looking for something light, go for the portobello fajita. The food is in a pita and a bed of vegetables, but the execution leaves something to be desired. It seemed to be more an array of tossed vegetables than something cohesively delicious. This dish is cooked on the grill and is very difficult and messy to eat.

If for some reason you go to Nite Owl and your first priority is staying healthy, the Tuscan veggie multi grain pita is a good alternative. This is Sodexo food, so don’t be surprised that it tastes a little bland, but you should definitely appreciate that they tried. The sheer fact that you’re eating a pita with zucchini, peppers and lettuce piled on makes it worth it. It does get a little messy and the wait can get annoying but it isn’t the worst thing in the world. You’re not eating at a five-star restaurant, but the option definitely fills you up and leaves you satisfied enough for $5.

While Sodexo has made a huge leap by providing healthier choices at Nite Owl, there is no question that some of its options could be improved. For instance, the chef’s salad is a good idea, but people usually go to Nite Owl looking for finger food. Also, while it is nice to have a grilled chicken sandwich as an option, the sandwich is just that: grilled chicken on a bun. Although it’s hard to be too picky when it comes to these new options, there is definitely room for improvement, creativity and salt on Sodexo’s part. The introduction of these new options is, however, a great first step.