Kendall Loh/Assistant Photo Editor Michael Jennings, a freshman majoring in physics, plays acoustic guitar at Binghamton Students for Students International’s fifth annual Coffeehouse & Art Show.

BU Students for Students International went hard Wednesday night, merging music, art and coffee at the fifth annual BSSI International Coffeehouse & Art Show.

The event was part of BSSI’s mission to raise scholarship money for underprivileged students in developing countries. Since 2005, 17 students have had their college educations sponsored by BSSI. The $150 raised at the event, made through donations and bake sale profits, were donated to their scholarship fund. The event was co-sponsored by Global Education Investment, a charity that helps educate underprivileged children worldwide.

Every fall, BSSI hosts a gala, a large scale semi-formal that charges an entrance fee where the organization’s founder, Ravi Gupta, delivers a speech. Gupta founded the organization in fall 2003 and graduated in 2005. The BSSI Coffeehouse & Art Show, which was free, was easier to organize compared to the yearly gala.

“It’s a laid-back way to end the semester,” said Hannah Weeks, BSSI president and a senior double-majoring in physics and math.

In the art show segment of the event, students can display their artwork on tables or sell it if they want. Danielle Naylor, a sophomore double-majoring in English and environmental science, pursues art as a hobby. The event is a way for her to connect with other art enthusiasts and possibly make some money from her varied selection of paintings, photographs and charcoal drawings.

“I get to meet other people who have the same hobby,” Naylor said.

Eli Portman, a sophomore majoring in studio art, sold his landscape painting, made with spray paint and a few other tools, for $17.

“I’ve sold a few of my art pieces before, but showing my paintings off at an art show is great because it’s great to see so many people appreciate it,” Portman said.

The performances were determined by a set list rather than being open mic style. Michael Jennings, a freshman majoring in physics, was one of the performers. He appreciated that the event didn’t limit itself to just performances, but that it offered different activities, such as the art show, henna and sand art in bottles.

“It’s more than just a music show, he said. “I like that it’s an artsy, cultural event.”