The Dickinson Community Players will premiere their last show of the semester, “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead,” at 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2, with additional showings at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 4 in the Chenango Champlain Collegiate Center.

The play looks at the story of “Hamlet” from a different perspective by focusing on two minor characters from Shakespeare’s play, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead” is an absurdist, existentialist tragicomedy by Tom Stoppard.

The action of Stoppard’s play takes place mainly “in the wings” of Shakespeare’s, with brief appearances of major characters from “Hamlet” who enact fragments of the original’s scenes. Throughout the play, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern voice their confusion at the progression of events — which occur onstage without them in “Hamlet” — that they have no direct knowledge of.

Assistant director Emily Simchik, a sophomore double-majoring in history and philosophy, politics and law, described the play as a tragic comedy, where the sarcasm and wit of Guildenstern and the obliviousness of Rosencrantz fit together to take the minor characters of Hamlet to a new level.

Simchik said she enjoyed working with her director, Kevin Gleeson.

“He definitely has a certain idea of what he wants it all to end up looking like,” Simchik said.

Gleeson, a sophomore majoring in philosophy, politics and law, is directing for the first time. He usually acts instead.

“[Directing] was different in a nice way,” Gleeson said. “I liked it, and we came up with a great production.”

Carly Rubenfeld, a sophomore majoring in psychology, plays Rosencrantz. She felt Gleeson had a great sense of how things should look as well as how to work with the actors.

“It’s also so much fun being directed by one of my good friends,” Rubenfeld said. “He really challenges me and brings out the best in me.”

Rubenfeld thinks students should come see the show because it will make for a fun, enjoyable evening with an abundance of laughter.

“This show will leave a smile on your face but will almost make you think,” Rubenfeld said. “It is really smart, clever and fast pace.”

Tickets for “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead” are $3 and will be sold at the door.