It has been a riveting year thus far in music releases. We’ve already witnessed some incredible albums, most notably from industry titans who’ve already proven themselves. Shoegaze fans were sated last month by “m b v,” while David Bowie just broke his 10-year silence with “The Next Day.” Even Radiohead’s own fedora-wearing, twitch-dancing Thom Yorke claimed this year as his own with “AMOK,” his first collaboration with the incredible super group Atoms For Peace. Nonetheless, there are just as many new acts waiting in the wings that deserve attention.

After the palpitating rush of EDM’s climax last year, new electronic and pop trends are definitely leaning toward minimal R&B and suave ’90s house, riding on the highs of some of 2012’s bravest releases; Frank Ocean’s “Channel Orange” and The xx’s “Coexist” come to mind as perfect examples of this shift. Instead of the blunt physicality that Skrillex popularized so much in the last couple of years, many artists have already begun to experiment with empty space and ambiance in pop music. This atmospheric sound is spreading to rock, country and experimental genres too, where bass and electronic drops are being swapped for more insidious studio wizardry. The following artists are proof of 2013’s audacious new sound, but most importantly, they are fresh faces in the music industry who are bringing something exciting and new to the contemporary conversation.

Haim

This trio from Los Angeles, California is an intriguing rarity — they’re three beautiful sisters with ironclad pipes and a sleek visual aesthetic. All in their mid-20s, Este, Danielle and Alana Haim are young pop enthusiasts with refined visions of what the future of music should sound like. With just one EP out and one on the way, the sibling band is still establishing their image and sound. So far, though, Haim are keen masters of Inner City’s ’90s synthesizers and harmonized Fleetwood Mac vocals that blend together in a surprisingly smooth way. As BBC’s prestigious “Sound of 2013,” Haim is a group to watch and get excited for. It’s still too early to tell where they’ll fall, but the proper full-length that’s coming later this year should expand on the fierce, sensual sound that they’ve established so far.

Rhye

Steeped in anonymity throughout 2012, Rhye was a musical project that could only be represented by its lush, erotic music. The debut single “Open” and the follower “The Fall” were sparse evidence that ’70s funk and old-school soul would come back this year with the light, atmospheric intimacy that The xx made so accessible. “The Fall” was a rare moment in music where post-coital happiness felt justified and aptly illustrated. Ethereal, feminine vocals begged their lover to “just stay awhile,” while a rapture of strings, piano and light drums accented the open space, letting the music breathe and dissipate.

So when Rhye’s story unraveled to reveal the male producer duo of Mike Milosh and Robin Hannibal, mostly everyone was surprised and delighted to hear such an androgynous, delicate voice from a male body. Milosh, the man behind the melted butter vocal beauty, expands the initial beauty of “Open” and “The Fall” on Rhye’s debut album “Woman,” out now on Republic Records. It’s stress-relieving, graceful music for a hung-over Sunday when the rain, snow and inevitable stress of the coming week feel too heavy to handle.

Charli XCX

For a 20 year-old, Charli XCX has accomplished an incredible amount. Born Charlotte Aitchison, she’s the British dark pop Chanteuse behind 2011’s steamrolling pair of sludgy singles “Stay Away” and “Nuclear Seasons” and the writer of “I Love It,” Icona Pop’s breakthrough banger that’s become popularized as the “Snooki and JWoww” theme song. This year though, she’s finally giving us her debut album; on April 15, “True Romance” will finally be out across the pond on Asylum. Known for her morose, moody ruminations on relationships good and bad, Charli has a dramatic vision for radio pop. In a month’s time we’ll know if it’s a dream come true, or for her, a fantastic nightmare. “You (Hahaha)” is an example of this creepy catchiness — over an ecstatic Gold Panda sample, Charli debases her lover and urges us to join her in her fun.

AlunaGeorge

The origin of Aluna Francis’ and George Reid’s relationship as the duo AlunaGeorge is one entirely of the 21st century. They met on the Internet over a mutual fondness of each other’s musical talent and now, less than two years later, they’re an incredible pop duo that’s taking everything exciting in the UK club scene, on American radio and in the decades past and blending it all together for a stellar string of hits. For example, the steel percussion and distorted vocals of 2012’s “Your Drums, Your Love” introduced the duo as a forward-thinking project with no fear for an ambiguously gendered narrative. Francis’ vocals, which veer quickly from a childlike sneer to an enraged and empowered growl, are grounded by Reid’s virtuosic electronic production that feels light and airy while packing accented punches. “Body Music,” AlunaGeorge’s debut album, is out this summer on July 1, and is already a reeling topic in the UK thanks to the duo’s excellent Disclosure collaboration, “White Noise” and their new single “Attracting Flies.”