“House of Cards” is provocative and compelling from the very first scene. The show, produced by Netflix, is only available through their digital streaming services. The show is centered around Francis “Frank” Underwood (Kevin Spacey), a South Carolina Democratic Congressman and current Majority Whip as he exacts his clever, manipulative, meticulous revenge on those who cross him. The show begins with the election of a new President, who had promised Underwood the position of Secretary of State. However, after backing the president though the campaign, Underwood is informed by the president’s chief of staff, Linda Valquez (Sakina Jaffrey), that the position will be going to another person and that the administration needs him in Congress.

The show is remarkably intricate, with each episode revealing segments of a complex plot. Every episode reveals more of Frank’s plan to get back at the president for denying him the position he was promised. Using his influence as Majority Whip, Frank forces people into submissions and gets people fired, hired and elected. While not a bad man per se, Frank shows just how political Washington is. Every episode leaves the viewer wondering when Frank will get caught up in his web of manipulation.

While the show follows the realized machinations of Frank Underwood, which involves several intertwining story lines, Underwood also breaks the fourth wall to deliver his insight on the situation at hand. This technique is clever in characterizing the many politicians Frank comes into contact with and demonstrating Frank’s political skill. He knows how to play people. He doesn’t always break the fourth wall to speak, but sometimes he’ll look directly into the camera to deliver facial expressions when someone he’s meeting with says something stupid.

“House of Cards” gives a dark, political and no doubt accurate portrayal of the life of a congressman in D.C. In fact, the only unbelievable part of the show is that in a place where people love to get angry and throw stuff, nobody seems to have a case on their new iPhones. In a town where everyone has their quirks and secrets, Frank seems to know them all. Frank keeps his own life a tad more private and well-guarded than everyone else, trusting only his caring wife, Claire, at the end of the day. Claire, who runs “Clean Water Initiative,” a fictional non-profit, is often at a loss with her group when she gets mixed up in Frank’s political schemes. However, it’s clear from the first episode that what the two do, they do together, supporting each other in all of their endeavors.

Judging from the positive reception of this show among critics and fans alike, it seems very plausible that “House of Cards” will start a new trend of online-only shows. A second season of 13 episodes is currently in production. In a technological age where TV is dominated by a few major networks, producers, directors, writers and actors alike might start taking to the Internet with their ideas and abilities. With the growing popularity of watching shows on one’s own time (see DVR, HBO Go, On Demand options) rather than scheduled television slots, it’s safe to say that “House of Cards” won’t be the last of its kind.