Along with the new year, the Binghamton University Art Museum boasts a new exhibit called “Quiet Cruelties” by Rimer Cardillo, an art professor at SUNY New Paltz. “Quiet Cruelties” will be included alongside the permanent exhibit until March 23.

“Quiet Cruelties” is a collection of different prints, sculptures and various visual statements revolving around themes of nature rather than people. The exhibit features unique works of art that include butterflies, birds, grasshoppers and scenic prints. Cardillo’s exhibit is highlighted by neutral colors accented with reds to evoke a stark contrast between power and vulnerability.

Originally from Uruguay, Cardillo experienced the oppression from living under military rule. This exhibit showcases over 40 years of Cardillo’s artistic career, displaying art from the 1970s to present day. The exhibit strategically placed the artwork to demonstrate the progression of Cardillo’s pieces throughout time.

Cardillo continues to incorporate hints of his heritage and background by naming all of his artwork in Spanish. Cardillo weaves themes of power and vulnerability with nature in his artwork by showing how all living beings are susceptible to violent forces beyond their control.

Cardillo exhibits “Quiet Cruelties” to be seen as a visual protest against oppression. Through the layered images of tortured insects and birds, Cardillo’s sculptures and silk prints force viewers to reconsider the application of violence toward all aspects of nature.

Cardillo will continue his crusade against violence with international exhibits of his work. For more information on Rimer Cardillo visit: www.rimercardillo.com