Timmy Shin/Staff Photographer

As the summer approaches, the prospect of a summer fling cannot help but loom over the heads of many young, single males and females. Mating periods for humans do not exist, so what makes the nature of a summer fling more enticing than a fling during any other time of year?

Lindsay Weinberg, a junior majoring in English, thinks the desire to meet someone in the summer is merely a superficial feat.

“I think that a summer fling is the same thing as a winter fling except warmer and everyone wears less clothes so everyone looks attractive,” Weinberg said.

But based on the students of Binghamton University, 80-degree weather is not the sole excuse to shed your clothes.

During the school year, academics and other activities can prevent people from seeking a partner, whether it’s casual or serious. Also, a school environment, no matter how big it is, becomes smaller and smaller over time. Things become a routine, and meeting someone whom you may see every day for the next four years seems less appealing. At the same time, school is a great setting for a long-term relationship to blossom.

Summer, on the contrary, is one big party that kids don’t have to go to in order to drunkenly hook up with someone. The lustful aura of freedom from responsibility and warm weather is enough to make people feel they can do whatever they please.

“Summer flings are just about having a good time. It’s much more laid back,” said Dan Tierney, a junior majoring in English. “Plus the weather’s nice and there’s less to worry about over summer break, making the encounter all the more fun.”

According to www.urbandictionary.com, a website containing the lexicon of modern youth, a summer fling is defined as “a sexual adventure free of hassles, commitments or drama, timed for the summer only. Something light and fun-filled with nothing to worry about at the end of the season. Usually not exclusive to one person, ends in a mutual agreement of friendship.” Or no further contact. However, this is not always how summer flings pan out.

The idea of real romance ensuing from a summer fling has been deeply embedded in our culture by epic movies such as “Grease” and “The Notebook.” Though these are fictional stories and a bit old-fashioned for modern youth, they set an expectation for the hopeless romantic during the warm summer months. For the more pessimistic folk, they are an example of exactly what should not happen over the summer.

People are also more inclined to have a summer fling when there is more leisure time to spend with a person, such as on vacation or in summer camp. Sometimes summer love is simply inevitable.

No matter the motive for partaking in a summer fling or the nature of the relationship, summer flings are viewed as a positive thing.

“Summer flings are fun, and I guess short-lived,” said Elaine Ezrapour, a freshman majoring in philosophy, politics and law. “It’s young and fresh and exciting.”