With their fourth full length release, Scottish rockers Frightened Rabbit present another set of great, mostly guitar-based half-broken anthems that surely suffice for a lot of those “pop wants.” Their potion of honest, heady rock/pop/folk came to light with their fantastic second full length in “The Midnight Organ Fight,” found a quicker step and optimistic outlook on “The Winter of Mixed Drinks” and has now appeared in good form again on “Pedestrian Verses.”

For fans already on their toes with anticipation for “Pedestrian Verses,” there is little to find disappointing — the band continues their constant progression of sharp songwriting and super slick production. The band’s calling cards are still at the forefront: singer Scott Hutchinson’s voice and songs about things being real bad but getting soon better. On a few tracks, notably “State Hospital” (released last year on a “preview” EP), the band find itself favoring more fictionalized accounts than autobiographical pieces so prevalent on their second and third releases.

For new fans, don’t get hung up on a name like Frightened Rabbit, thinking that might not be the name of a band you’d really buy into. Get hung up on their tracks; they’ve got pleasant hooks — the kind you remember, of course, but don’t seem so engineered as if a virus or a worm eating at your thoughts and your patience (e.g. “…shine bright like a diamond…”). These are songs about pain and hope, they’re sung and written by a guy who has experienced both and they’re played by a band that is offering something. It’s a simple formula, and that’s what makes it popular, and forever will.

Four Beyoncés and a Solange ?