Friday, Dec. 7, marked the launch of Binghamton’s first ever Parlor City Indie Market and Craft Faire, where local artists had the opportunity to showcase and sell their original work. The show featured about 20 exhibitors from the Binghamton area who design and handcraft items such as steampunk jewelry, hand-sewn crafts, original artwork, up-cycled clothing, botanicals, soaps, lotions and locally made fruit butters. The special exhibit was held from Friday to Sunday at 39 Court Street with an admission fee of $3 per day, or $5 for the weekend.

Event organizer Shawn O’Hara, a local interior designer and the owner of Shawn Michael Design, was the driving force behind the show’s creation.

“People ask why I am organizing Parlor City Indie Market & Craft Faire,” O’Hara wrote on the Facebook page he created exclusively for the event. “I believe in Binghamton! And I understand that the citizens of a city ARE the city. What we do MAKES our city. So I thought I would do what I wanted to see in Binghamton. Create the city I want to live in!” O’Hara is so enthusiastic about the show that he hopes it will become an annual fixture in Binghamton. Many of Binghamton’s local artists are equally as enthused about the show’s success.

“I think it’s a great way to have people come together and understand what’s happening in the Binghamton craft scene,” said Sophia Reading, a local artist who runs a gallery on State Street. Sophia’s impressive handcrafted jewelry was among the display during the three-day fair.

Other notable vendors included Felix Eddy, whose edgy steampunk artwork stood out from the crowd. Eddy sold several prints and buttons featuring her impressive artwork, which she creates through a variety of mediums. Her embroidered art was particularly popular, especially her series of handmade Doctor Who-themed wallets, which featured icons like the TARDIS and a Dalek.

Binghamton artist Marcia Blackburn displayed her handmade steampunk jewelry, which she describes as “neo-Victorian pieces inspired by the era of the steam engine but made with the 21st century in mind.” Blackburn’s jewelry has a unique alternative look to it, incorporating mechanical elements such as cogs, clocks and wheels to form unique, wearable art.

Artist Derek Lindow showcased a series of his original ink drawings, many of which featured the portrayal of distorted, sub-human faces. “Music is what usually inspires me to draw,” Lindow said. “I’m especially inspired when I listen to heavy metal music.”

Angelina Blasich’s handcrafted ClamPets were a big hit. Blasich felts each individual palm-sized creature by hand, and many people were instantly won over by the cute, fuzzy, big-eyed creations.

“These sweet little ClamPets are disappearing faster than I can felt them,” wrote Blasich on the event page. “Thanks for the lovins!”

All in all, the Parlor City Craft Faire was met with a very positive response from both local artists and the community, and hopefully this event will open up more doors for the art community in Binghamton. In the words of O’Hara: “I believe in the future of this cool little city we call home. I had an idea and I acted on it, to do what I could to make Binghamton the city I want to live in.”