Finals season usually means only one thing: miserable students. So while you were contemplating the meaning of life and hating yourself for procrastinating, Binghamton University residential assistants were preparing an event for students to relieve some stress and have fun one last time before the end of the semester. Students and alumni enjoyed a night of performances and dance in the Chenango Champlain Collegiate Center’s multipurpose room for the 2012 BingFuse event Thursday evening.

BingFuse is a new event hosted and coordinated by Jesus Hernandez, a senior majoring in psychology and a Dickinson Community RA, and Gregory Hernandez, a senior majoring in creative writing and a College-in-the-Woods RA.

“We wanted to create an event that was global and bring different types of groups together,” Hernandez said. “I wanted it to be a diverse, stress release event.”

BingFuse featured performances by the Binghamton Crosbys, the Pegs, Circus Club, Quimbamba Latin Dance Group, Stand Up Comedy Club and much more. It was free for the entire campus community.

According to Gregory Hernandez, the event started off slow due to technical difficulties.

As the stand up comedy group’s performance came to a close, members of the glee club took the stage to perform a few numbers. Audience members began to clap and sing along to some of their favorite tunes including “Hands Down” by Dashboard Confessional and “Bubbly” by Colbie Caillat.

Although this event was advertised more as a concert of vocal performances, the Quimbamba group — the only Latin dance team on campus that is not chartered by the Student Association — hosted an interactive dance workshop. Audience members were encouraged to come to the dance floor and learn how to salsa with step-by-step instructions.

Arryana Olavarria, a member of the Quimbamba group and a sophomore majoring in English, directed the crowd by chanting directions such as “left right left!”

Gregory Hernandez, a co-host and co-moderator of BingFuse, said that the event was more than just a venue for stress relief.

“What I really wanted to accomplish was to spread awareness that people do perform and people do start here. It really is to promote awareness of how good they are,” Hernandez said. “I kind of wish I could’ve brought something to the table!”

When the Crosbys took the stage with their rendition of Queen’s “Fat Bottomed Girls,” they left more than just a few girls blushing, as the crowd clapped and danced along.

Following performances were concluded by the Binghamton Circus Club, the Pegs and individual performers.

Derek Gumb, the Student Association Executive Vice President and a senior majoring in politics, philosophy and law, attended the event to relieve some stress. He said that he enjoyed hearing all of the different cultures being represented.

“I thought that this was a fantastic concept and very applicable for right now because everyone is really stressed and a lot of finals are coming up and we want to get one last time to blow off steam,” Gumb said. “I think it brought out the best performers in Binghamton.”