With the release of the Wii U on Nov. 18, the eighth generation of home consoles has begun. And while the new Nintendo console’s release has brought excitement and wonder for the next generation of consoles (two screens?!), it’s also brought nostalgia for the generation we’re leaving behind. With that in mind, here are the five games you need to play on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 or the Wii.

“Uncharted 2: Among Thieves” (2009) — PS3

The word “cinematic” gets tossed around a lot when talking about video games, but no game better epitomizes that term than “Uncharted 2.” Nathan Drake (think Indiana Jones for the 21st century) is a treasure hunter swept up into a deadly race with a war criminal when he discovers a trail of clues leading to an ancient mythical power. Drake and his companions are better realized than most Hollywood characters. The voice acting, motion capture work and character animations are unmatched in the gaming industry. The game is perfectly paced, switching between cover-based third-person shooting, a healthy dose of puzzle solving and “Tomb Raider”-like platforming. “Uncharted 2” is the ultimate edge-of-your-seat action movie condensed into one of the most thrilling single-player adventure games.

“The Orange Box” (2007) — Xbox 360 & PS3

One of the greatest compilations in gaming history, “The Orange Box” comes with the legendary first-person shooter “Half-Life 2,” its two expansions, the online shooter “Team Fortress 2” and the breakout hit “Portal.” “Team Fortress 2” on consoles doesn’t get the same updates that its PC counterpart gets, but it’s still a fun, fast-paced shooter with its own quirky art style and a dedicated online fan base. “Half-Life 2” is one of the most renowned shooters in gaming, and for good reason. The combat is smooth and exciting, and the weapons are clever and some of the most fun to use in any game. “Portal” is set inside a scientific testing facility run by the endlessly entertaining homicidal AI, GLaDOS. Players are equipped with only one weapon: a gun that shoots portals. What goes in one portal comes out the other, and vice versa. “Portal” is a short but fun romp of genuinely funny writing and ingenious puzzles. With three of the greatest first-person shooters in gaming history packaged together, “The Orange Box” is a necessity.

“Super Mario Galaxy 2” (2010) — Wii

The lone Wii title on this list comes courtesy of gaming’s biggest mascot. Mario’s second 3D title on the Wii demonstrates Nintendo’s boundless creativity. Each world in the game brings with it a new gameplay mechanic, item or power-up. A drill to burrow through to the opposite side of a planet, a power-up that creates clouds underneath Mario for him to land on and planets with alternating gravities are just a few of the mechanics that appear during the game. The aesthetics are gorgeous and make Mario’s unique universe fit together seamlessly. The controls are perfect, the culmination of over 15 years of refinement. This game isn’t just the best platformer on the Wii, it might be the greatest platformer ever made.

“Red Dead Redemption” (2010) — Xbox 360 & PS3

“Red Dead Redemption” is the best open-world game of this generation. Set in the waning days of the Wild West, the game features John Marston, a former outlaw forced by the government to track down his old partners and bring them to justice. Rockstar’s world-building skills are unmatched, and the world of “Red Dead Redemption” is its best yet. The world feels alive, filled with colorful characters, gorgeous scenery and numerous missions and quests to undertake. John Marston is also one of the most nuanced protagonists in any game. He is a man of virtue and manners, but his past and his skill with a gun force him into a world of moral gray areas. A compelling journey from beginning to end, “Red Dead Redemption” stands as the reigning king of the open-world genre.

“BioShock” (2007) — Xbox 360 & PS3

“BioShock” is the must-play game of this console generation, a perfect blend of story, environment, atmosphere, character, voice acting and gameplay. Set in 1960, the player enters an underwater city called Rapture. After a devastating civil war, the people have become dependent on gene modifications called “plasmids.” Plasmids allow them to have myriad abilities like telekinesis and controlling fire with a snap of their fingers. “BioShock” is a first-person shooter in which players wield guns and plasmids against the insane, violent citizens as they traverse the ruined city. What makes the narrative of “BioShock” the best in gaming is that the story is so deeply tied to the gameplay. The final narrative twist is one of the best in any medium, bar none. “BioShock” is so rich in its themes, ideas, characters and narrative that it would take a book to properly give each one its due. How all these different elements tie directly into the gameplay and mission structure of “BioShock” is what makes it truly incredible.

At the moment, the Wii U might not have any bona fide classics on it, so get caught up on these must-play games. There are bound to be more soon.