“Life of Pi” is not so much about a number’s infinite irrationality as it is the universe’s circularity and infinite possibilities. Based on the acclaimed novel by Yann Martel and directed by Ang Lee, “Life of Pi” tells the story of a wise teen named Pi after he is in a shipwreck while traveling across the Pacific Ocean. Surviving on a lifeboat, Pi is challenged with limited supplies, vicious aquatic elements and a Bengal tiger. After growing up surrounded by his family’s zoo in India and practicing three religions, Pi is equipped with his father’s zoo-keeping knowledge, deep faith and sharp wits. Although the shipwreck costs Pi his security and the lives of his entire family, he perseveres through months at sea. Years later, Pi recounts the tale to a curious writer who guides the story.

The dialogue and scenes closely resemble the original story illustrated in Martel’s novel. What Martel depicts as a cunning journey through his written saga, Lee executes through tasteful aesthetics. Illustrative scenes feature beguiling landscapes, from the sunset on a placid open ocean to the lushness of a tropical fantasy island. Extraordinary animals are captured on film with an air of fascination and appreciation. The imagery is complemented with rich Indian music, reflecting the story’s cultural roots. Suraj Sharma, who plays Pi, delivers a strong performance. He taps into the role of a spiritual survivor faced with the relentless fear of impending death. Sharma also captures the emotion intertwined in the complex relationship with Richard Parker, the tiger with whom Pi shares the lifeboat. Characterized by quarrels, competition and eventual mutual respect and understanding, the complex relationship between Pi and Richard Parker is one of the film’s most riveting assets.

The brilliance of the tale lies in the irony that such a story could ever be portrayed quite as convincingly as it is. Conceptually, the likelihood of a boy and tiger ever living on the same lifeboat is near impossible. Yet the story is marvelously seamed together. By fleshing out the logistics of the situation and incorporating mysterious Indian folklore charm, the film largely avoids plot holes and inconsistencies. Details such as how the lifeboat managed to be kept so clean, however, are sidestepped. The storytelling allows each part to fall into place, but the questionable existence of the tiger seals the tale’s ultimate plausibility.

Although the film’s overall message is powerful, some of the action scenes are not the strongest. The shipwreck seemed like a long strip of white noise and wet, smeary shots. Also, filming countless scenes depicting a raging ocean waves is difficult territory. CGI animals detract from the essence of the film’s livelihood, but may have been a necessary measure for portraying specific animal behaviors. One of the directing challenges is avoiding monotony despite consecutive scenes of a lifeboat on open water. The film compensates for this by delivering impressive minor characters and situations.

“Life of Pi” excels in conveying an inspiring message. Hardship, faith and triumph drive the captivating survival story. The movie has universal appeal to children, adults, animal lovers, soul searchers and everyone in between.