The all-nighter is characterized as the unbearable stretch into the wee hours of morning. Strenuous? Certainly. Some people pull all-nighters for the sake of pushing themselves beyond physical comfort, beyond their perceived limits and beyond what seems humanly possible. Some people are the ultrarunners, competing in races as far as 100 miles and taking no opportunities for power naps.

Judging by the amount of mileage they have accumulated, it is not unlikely that you have witnessed the training of one of these inspired athletes. According to UltraRunning Magazine, ultrarunning is “anything past the marathon, or 26.2 miles.” Other standard distances are the 50 mile, 100 mile, 100 km and a series of events that last for specified time periods such as 6 hour, 12 hour, 24 hour, 48 hour and 6 days.”

Karen Fennie, a communication specialist at Binghamton University, competed in her eighth 100-mile race this summer during the Beast of Burden in Lockport, N.Y. There she made a personal record time of 24:28:38.

This 53-year-old powerhouse breaks convention regarding what it means to reach one’s limits. In 2005, Fennie competed in the 10K Binghamton Heart Run, which is a distance of 10,000 meters or just over 6.2 miles. She finished last place, with the sweep at her heels. Despite the minor setback, Fennie had the opportunity to meet local runners. She became enveloped by a community of running enthusiasts in Binghamton and began distance training regularly. In July 2005, Fennie competed in the Finger Lakes Fifties race. Although Fennie had planned on completing only one lap in the 25K, she felt so good that she decided to double her distance to 50K, and marked the furthest distance she had ever run. Building a sense of self-efficacy, Fennie’s feat encouraged her to compete in her first 50-mile race, the Stone Cat Ale in November 2006. Finishing in last place and earning the caboose award, Fennie was anything but discouraged. The following year, she competed in her second 50-miler at Canandaigua, N.Y. Not only had Fennie managed to shave off two hours compared to her previous time, but she also finished feeling empowered. This sense of self-assurance was the bud to one day competing in a 100-mile race.

With newfound encouragement, Fennie immersed herself in a new level of training. She ran on trails in the woods for hours, losing herself, exploring and striving. In 2008, Fennie ran her first 100-mile race, the Vermont 100M. It was the toughest race in which she had ever competed. Barely making the cut-off and finishing second to last, Fennie crossed the finish line after 30 hours and 15 minutes. Each race leaves a certain degree of doubt of ever competing again, but Fennie was back the following year, finishing in 27 hours and 28 minutes.

“There is self-doubt, and then proving yourself wrong,” Fennie said. Through each run, Fennie has gained strength, endurance and most importantly, experience.

Running is just as much a physical activity as it is a mental one. The buildup of Fennie’s milage was only attainable through the self-satisfaction of pushing herself whenever possible. From her journey as a runner, Fennie learned the lesson of patience. Just as important is living in the moment. One must never get caught in thoughts of “Fifty miles to go” or “Fifty miles behind.” Ultrarunning is a relentless forward motion, free of thought, judgement and time. It is the unthinking action of the present.

Fennie’s account demonstrates that the limits of the human body are constraints of the mind. Overcoming such a barrier yields amazing consequence. What is life but relentless forward motion? It’s baby steps, leaps and bounds that allow us prove things to ourselves each day. Running is a medium that validates tenacity. The need to push hard, further and longer exists in all of us: It is the human element. Through her expeditions, Fennie has found community, friendship and a greater sense of self.

“I would encourage anyone who isn’t running to think about it; it can bring good things, both physically and mentally,” Fennie said.