Toronto-based electronic act Crystal Castles is known for their sinister style and morbid lyrics and content. Their newest effort, “(III),” is no different, oozing with depression in every pained note. Although “(III)” is their weakest album so far, Crystal Castles is such a capable band that even on their worst day the music they make is still worth listening to.

The bleak pulsating synths that bleed in with the start of lead track “Plague” are representative of the entire LP. Obvious production problems crop up immediately with the track, such as Alice Glass’ vocals being too drowned out and other layers being buried in fuzz. These problems are minor, however, and melodic integrity is preserved throughout the album.

“Plague” is followed by a string of good tracks, the highlight of which is “Kerosene.” “Kerosene” is reminiscent of their earlier albums with its cold beats and its dancey choruses, but it pushes their music in a new direction with its tighter control over all these elements. Other standout tracks include “Affection” and “Insulin.”

“Insulin” is one of their most grating songs in the best possible way. Crystal Castles seem to love playing with dissonance and using it as a vital component of their music. The overtly annoying production choices melt away on repeat listens to reveal the gooey melodies underneath.

Even though “(III)” is by far their worst release, Crystal Castles manages to make ubiquitous electronic music more than just danceable beats.

3.5/5