Bright lights, pounding music and dozens of Binghamton University students-turned-models filled the Multipurpose Room in the Chenango Champlain Collegiate Center last Friday as Women in Business and Fashion Industry Club put on their first annual fashion show. During the show, Women in Business gave away over $900 in prizes, and students modeled nearly $2000 worth of clothing, made possible by sponsors — Macy’s, Dressbarn, JCPenney and White Rose Day Spa all contributed clothing and prizes. Ticket sale proceeds from the “Fashion Night Out: Charity Fashion Show” went to the George F. Johnson Dream Center, a local charity. Lively style presentations, a mocktail bar and a makeup table run by Fashion Industry Club all added to the evening’s haute vibe.

The audience included students and representatives from Macy’s and Dressbarn. Fashion catalogs, coupons and programs were distributed to each seat, allowing for a fluid show. Reading the programs as the models walked provided much-appreciated insight about the outfits and brands, and the event was smartly divided into three portions: Business Formal, Business Casual and After-Hours. The models included students from a range of ages, gender and body types.

Tina Yu, a member of Women in Business and a freshman majoring in accounting, modeled several different outfits throughout the show.

“My favorite was the business casual outfit that I wore,” she said. “It was a blue-collared button-down blouse, a black pencil skirt and gray pumps. The patterned scarf changed things up a bit.”

Yu also walked the runway for the After-Hours portion, in which she wore a black dress and the same patterned scarf, demonstrating its versatility.

The students were coached before the show by a Fashion Industry Club member, who offered guidance on how to walk, pose and turn on the runway.

“I went to rehearsals, and [Fashion Industry Club President] Ariel Rosenberg instructed us on how to walk and pose,” Yu said. “We learned how long to pause at the end of the runway T and who our partner would be in the lineup.”

The effect was remarkably professional as students showed off a variety of smart suits, sleek trousers and shimmering dresses. Standout pieces included a women’s black suit jacket with white piping detail and a men’s gray Ralph Lauren cardigan sweater. Every accessory from bright bow ties to patterned scarves completed the looks; never before has Binghamton seen such perfectly polished students.

“It was a very good bonding experience, and I met a lot of new people,” Yu said when asked why she would participate again next year.

The show certainly ran smoothly, and wrapped up with all of the models performing PSY’s “Gangnam Style” dance on the room’s stage. The crowd was then able to mingle for a while, and some later went to the after-party at the Flashbacks/Paradigm in Downtown Binghamton. Bracelets for Paradigm were sold with the fashion show tickets, and Women in Business raised an estimated $500 for the charity.

“It’s good that Women in Business both develops networking skills for students and has a community perspective,” Yu said. “I’m proud to be a part of it.”

Women in Business plans to put on Fashion Night Out for years to come.