With geeky glasses and frazzled hair, 36-year-old Binghamton University alumnus Austin Basis looks like a mad scientist. And that’s exactly what he’s aiming for as J.T. Forbes, biochemistry professor, witty best friend and comic relief on the CW’s new series “Beauty and the Beast.” He’s playing opposite stars Kristin Kreuk and Jay Ryan, but he hasn’t forgotten his SUNY roots.

How did you get into acting?

I went to Binghamton to be pre-med and major in theater. Then, all the science courses I was taking weren’t drawing me in, or like, “Is this what I have to do for eight years to become a doctor?” During junior year I had to declare my major. I had been taking the courses for both and it was really a decision of, I don’t want to half-ass becoming an actor. There was no way to do it and not fully commit. I was encouraged by my professors: “You know that you have the talent. Do the work.” You have to work harder than anyone else that looks like you or sounds like you or is your age or weight.

Which professors did you have at Bing?

I learned Meisner, which is an acting technique where you’re actually listening to what the other person is saying and reacting. I took two or three Meisner classes with Tom Kremer. You could tell how good a teacher he was by how he listens and watches a student do a scene. He’s as into it watching it as the actors are doing it. I took Intro to Acting with Carol Hanscom. I took this amazing class Don Boros teaches called Performance in Modern Culture. I still reference things I learned. Binghamton was a really good education and it put me at a point where I needed to focus on just acting for a couple of years. That’s why I went to the Actors Studio Drama School.

Was Bing your first choice?

It’s a weird question because in acting a lot of people talk about turning out to be the person lucky enough that gets the part when someone else drops out and I know who that is, but do I go around saying that part would be my big break? Do I tell the world I was supposed to play that part? It was the top of my public university choices. I came to Binghamton and my buddy gave me a tour and I totally immediately felt like it was home. I possibly would not be doing what I’m doing now if I hadn’t had those professors and that grasp of modern acting technique and that drive to do it. I could have been a doctor right now. That would suck. Just kidding. It would probably be good, but I can’t even picture it.

How do you prepare for your role?

I work using what they call “the Method.” It’s all about using sense memory, and what is the most dynamic choice for me to go into the scene with. Is it the time I won the little league World Series game? Or is it a negative thing, when my grandmother passed away, what do I remember the chairs at the funeral feeling like, or the smell of the flowers there? It’s the best way to ground you in a character so when you say your lines they are believable.

Do you have any rituals around set?

Under the lights it’s pretty hot. I usually don’t put on my shirt until I get called to set. They do a lot of takes from different angles, so if you sweat under your arms, then in one shot you have pit stains and the next shot you don’t. In her Emmys speech, Julie Bowen talked about nipple covers. So in my speech, if I ever win anything, I’ll thank the wardrobe department for sewing pit pads into every shirt.

How are the work hours?

When you do a night scene outside, you start your day at 5 p.m. and use the whole night to do a scene that happens at 8 o’clock. That’s always difficult, for people to consistently keep their focus and get good results. It’s really an amazing feat to be able to work the graveyard shift.

Any advice for young actors?

To risk everything, to put everything on the line, to put your heart, soul, mind and body and not be self-conscious. Worry about failing after. You commit to a choice.

What’s the latest thing on your iTunes playlist?

I want to download the new Mumford and Sons. I really love their sound. They’re not just flopping around on stage — they’re really banging the hell out of the song.

Catch Austin at 9 p.m. Thursdays on the CW.