Spelunking into caves, canoeing vast rivers and exploring the wilderness are experiences students might only try once in their lives. But, for members of the Outdoors Club, these are no big thing.

Kyle Acenowr, president of the Outdoors Club, is enthusiastic about the variety of exciting activities available through the club.

“The Outdoors Club offers very inexpensive outdoor opportunities to students of all backgrounds and skill sets,” said Acenowr, a junior majoring in environmental studies. “Anything that can be done outdoors can be done in the Outdoors Club.”

The Outdoors Club hosts weekly student trips across the east coast. The club has held camping, canoeing, caving and hiking events. It also takes advantage of the Nature Preserve, which offers 180 acres of undeveloped land right on campus. This semester, the club will be spelunking in a cave.

“This is typically our biggest event of the fall and we expect it to be even bigger this semester,” Acenowr said. “We are always trying to broaden our capabilities and explore new areas.”

The club has recently expanded considerably. There are currently more than 175 revolving members and up to 30 members on a single trip. The club understands that leaving each weekend to be one with nature may not be realistic, so there isn’t a trip count that members must meet. The club welcomes all students regardless of experience.

“About half of our new members have virtually no experience with the outdoors,” Acenowr said. “Many people go on their first camping trip with us.”

Aside from giving students the chance to explore nature, the Outdoors Club is also an opportunity to make new friends.

“It’s just great people who do fun things together,” said Kevin Hallagan, a senior majoring in cinema. “It’s all with friends or people who are new but will become your friends. The Outdoors Club is my family on campus.”

The Outdoors Club is a welcome relief from the hectic student lifestyle. It’s important to see the surrounding area while the weather is still fair. So basically, we have another week.

“We have warm season people and cold season people, water-oriented people and hikers. We have people who like to do it all,” Hallagan said.

The Outdoors Club stresses its inclusive environment and welcomes all newcomers. If you’re feeling claustrophobic indoors and want to explore the outdoors, check out the Outdoors Club at 8 p.m. every Monday in Science 1 room 162 or email binghamtonoutdoorsclub@gmail.com for more information.