Welcome to Binghamton University, where your social life will consist of Greek Life hazing drama, plots to successfully enter the bars without getting arrested and anticipation for the upcoming Afrojack concert. However, if overplayed music isn’t your scene, join Binghamton Underground Music Presents. BUMP hosts exciting alternative music acts throughout the year, welcoming artistic quality over popularity.

BUMP is student-run and funded by the Student Association Programming Board. Matthew Costanzo, BUMP co-chair and a sophomore majoring in accounting, stresses the students’ power in choosing the acts.

“It’s a collective of students with the will and means to bring strong musical talent to campus,” Costanzo said. “We want it to be inclusive with members themselves being able to gain experience of booking shows while exploring their musical interests.”

In the past, BUMP has been able to snag some “bigger” underground artists such as Free Energy, Kaki King, Titus Andronicus and River City Extension. Their biggest snag yet came last year with Atlas Sound, the solo project by Bradford Cox, lead singer and guitarist of Deerhunter. Shows are more affordable than Events Center acts and are all located in the basement of the Old University Union.

Nina DePalma, a BUMP co-chair and a senior double-majoring in Russian and math, recognizes that the group offers a contrast from bigger campus acts such as Wiz Khalifa and Passion Pit.

“It’s an intimate alternative to some of the bigger shows on campus,” DePalma said. “It offers a chance for students to see their favorite bands.”

Aside from the nationally recognized underground artists that BUMP brings to campus to perform, the organization is also dedicated to reaching out to musicians on campus.

“We like to showcase student bands. We like to do at least one show of student bands a semester,” DePalma said.

Not only will you have the opportunity to attend some great underground music shows, but you also get the chance to see the best of what Binghamton student musicians have to offer. Who knows, maybe the next Ingrid Michaelson is in the crowd.

Anyone can join BUMP, and shows are open to the public.

“BUMP wants to represent the musical taste of the campus. We want to be open to everybody,” Costanzo said.

BUMP has already prepared two big shows this semester, but names and dates have not yet been announced.

If you are interested in being a part of Binghamton’s underground music scene, bring an open mind and good music taste to the meetings, which are at 7 p.m. on Wednesdays, or send an email to ndepalm1@binghamton.edu for more information.