Part of going back to school is about learning from last year’s mistakes: whether it was waiting until the last minute to write a paper, leaving Downtown with someone you probably shouldn’t have or committing a fashion faux pas. But a fashion crisis can be easily avoided. With a few key pieces in your wardrobe, you’ll be ready to face this year with style and confidence.

1. Leather

Leather is all the rage this season, be it be real or fake — no one will know. Leather can be integrated into many different aspects of your wardrobe. From boots that accentuate long legs to sexy leather skirts that hug you in all the right places, a woman in leather is a force to be reckoned with this semester.

Olivier Theyskens and Andrew Rosen’s line “Theysken’s Theory” launched an outfit that’s perfect for fashionistas who are really into leather. Their model walked the runway for New York’s Fall Fashion Week in tight leather pants with knee-high black leather heeled boots and an open leather jacket with sleeves that were gathered to create a three-quarter sleeve look.

To recreate this fierce ensemble you can check out the Oakdale Mall’s New York and Company, which currently sells faux leather slim legged pants for $35.97. Pair it with a faux leather jacket that has just the right edge to it.

Laura Potel, a junior majoring in theater, is excited to show off her new leather boots now that classes have started.

“My leather combat boots give me confidence to start this semester off on the right foot,” Potel said. “I can wear them rain or shine with almost any outfit and are the essential wardrobe piece for every girl to have.”

2. Mix and match

The fashion world is breaking rules and crossing boundaries that once existed. It’s time to experiment with mixing different patterns and styles, because you’ll be going against the mainstream. And that’s hip.

Actress and model Olivia Palermo hit London Fashion Week in a chic ensemble, pairing floral pants with leopard print shoes, a style that’s bold and brave. Any print and pattern combination you wear can be pulled off as long as you feel great wearing it.

Whether it’s to shade you from the sun, or protect you from the rain, the new wide-brim hat style is both cute and efficient for a Binghamton University student. Nicole Miller, Billy Reid and Carlos Miele have all included various 1970’s inspired hats to keep you on top of the trends. Eddie Bauer has a number of unique hats to choose from to get the designer look for a much cheaper price.

3. Belt it

A growing trend is the simple accent of a skinny belt to transform your outfit. Many designers have started their own line of belts meant to be worn at the waist in order to enhance any woman’s natural hourglass shape.

“I like skinny belts because they are an easy way to completely change the look and silhouette of an outfit,“ said Brittany Platin, a senior majoring in psychology.

Charlotte Russe in the Oakdale Mall has over forty different belt options to go with any outfit in your closet. The belts range from $3.50 to $10.50, with some including packages of three belts for a single low price.

“Skinny belts are also a really fun way to add a pop of color to an outfit,” Platin said.

4. Color

If you’re tired of always going with the safe and boring blacks and grays, try to spice up your closet with brightly colored jeans. They’ll help you stand out in a crowd of new students. According to Glamour magazine, anyone can transform the clothing they already have with an eccentric skinny jean color that will completely change the way you look at your wardrobe. J Brand, Guess and Bebe have all come out with their own lines of colorful denims.

Rue 21, also located in the Oakdale Mall, has skinny jeans with shockingly bright colors, and they also have a special deal right now where if you buy one pair of jeans, you can purchase a second pair for $10.

Fashion is all about finding the style that’s right for you and shows off your best features. Incorporating some of these key pieces into your wardrobe can give you the courage and excitement to take chances this semester.