Maroon 5 released their fourth studio album, “Overexposed,” on June 26, 2012. While Maroon 5 is known for their pop songs, they decided to take a new route on this album, delving into the world of techno with many of their tracks. And of course, like any Maroon 5 album, most of the songs are concerned with love, relationships and heartbreak.

“One More Night” starts the album off right with a fast-paced, upbeat, reggae-inspired song that is perhaps the best track on the entire album.

“Lucky Strike” continues the momentum set by “One More Night,” incorporating the whole band more than any other song on the album. Lead singer Adam Levine’s voice doesn’t overpower the instrumentals, and the guitar really comes through in the song.

And many of you have heard “Payphone” blowing up the radio this summer. The song features Wiz Khalifa and talks about a “heartbreaker.” The song is rumored to be about Levine’s break-up with Victoria Secret model Anne Vyalitsyna. It’s a catchy pop song typical of Maroon 5.

Then there are songs like “Daylight” and “Sad” that slow down the pace. With “Sad,” Maroon 5 attempts a piano ballad unsuccessfully. The lyrics aren’t particularly strong and Levine keeps repeating “I’m so sad.” The band should just stick to their guns and leave the piano ballads to Elton John.

“The Man Who Never Lied” has easily the most memorable chorus on “Overexposed.” Levine sings, “I was the man who never lied … but I couldn’t break your heart like you did yesterday.” He appeals to those who have experienced a cruel heartbreak at the hands of another as he paints himself to be the good guy in the scenario.

But these tracks aside, the bulk of the album deals with techno pop songs, including “Love Somebody,” powered by beats laid down by Tedder Zacanella, “Fortune Teller,” which blends techno and piano in an interesting mix of instruments and beats and “Tickets,” which utilizes “twisting production” to create a perfectly techno-infused pop song.

However, the greatest example of a catchy club song is “Doin’ Dirt,” which appeals to the partying audience with lyrics like, “You’re shining like a neon light/I light you up when I get inside.”

Though the album deals heavily in techno, Maroon 5 ends “Overexposed” with “Beautiful Goodbye,” an acoustic song that plays to their former albums. Although it’s a song that says goodbye, it offers a positive closing statement reminiscent of messages set forth by Train and Gavin DeGraw. Perhaps the band was influenced by the two on their tour last summer.

“Overexposed” is a departure from their previous albums. It’s Maroon 5 with a new techno slant. And while the songs are still enjoyable, it leaves me wanting the old Maroon 5 back.

Grade: B