The Binghamton University men’s and women’s tennis teams battled the University of Maryland, Baltimore County on Saturday. The men’s team won its third consecutive match in a convincing 5-1 performance, while the women’s team dropped its match 5-2, halting its winning streak at two.

The men’s team (10-11) won all three doubles matches against UMBC (8-9) to earn the doubles point before taking four out of five singles matches. Juniors Bastian Bornkessel and Ruben Devos won their match 8-2 at No. 1 doubles to get the Bearcats off on the right foot. Senior Alexandre Haggai and freshman Ismael Dinia followed with an 8-5 win to clinch the doubles point, and freshmen Robin Lesage and Ruben Haggai won their match 8-1 to make it a clean sweep for Binghamton in doubles.

“We’ve played 21 matches and I think we’re close to 50-50 on the doubles point, but I think of late, we’ve played better,” said Binghamton head coach Adam Cohen. “As of late, we’re playing better and hopefully we can keep that up.”

Alexandre Haggai (6-2, 6-0), Dinia (6-3, 6-2), Lesage (6-2, 6-3) and Ruben Haggai (6-4, 6-3) all won their singles matches in straight sets. Devos took his match to a third set at No. 3 singles before being ousted by his opponent, 7-6, 5-7 (6-10). Freshman Florian van Kann led his opponent 7-5, 1-1 at No. 6 singles before play was cancelled due to rain.

In what has shaped up to be a streaky season for the Bearcats, the team has now won three consecutive matches and is gaining momentum heading into the final week of the regular season before the America East championship in two weeks.

“I guess that’s sort of what I’d attribute to our losing some, winning some, losing some,” Cohen said. “Our schedule is difficult and I think it prepares us well for the end of the season. We’ve done this the last few years where we’ve struggled through the early to middle part of the season and then kind of went on a roll based upon the schedule getting a little bit easier and our guys being tested. So I think they’re a little bit more match-ready than some other teams that don’t play the kind of schedule we play.”

Meanwhile, the women’s team (7-12) came up short on Saturday after losing the doubles point and four of six singles matches to UMBC (13-7).

The Bearcats fell 8-2 at No. 1 doubles, but the tandem of senior Emma Leibowicz and freshman Taylor Hollander got Binghamton back on track with an 8-5 win at No. 3 doubles. Freshman Missy Edelblum and senior Jillian Santos then nearly got the better of their UMBC opponents before falling in heartbreaking fashion, 9-8 (7-5), giving UMBC the doubles point.

Freshman Katherine Medianik was able to grind out a victory at No. 4 singles 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (7-4) and won the tiebreaker in consecutive sets. Leibowicz also won her singles match, topping her opponent in three sets, 6-3, 4-6 and 10-8.

The women’s team is set to close out the regular season next Saturday with scheduled matchups against host Stony Brook University at 9 a.m. and University of Hartford at noon.

Meanwhile the men’s team is set to return to action on Wednesday for a scheduled 4 p.m. match with Colgate University before heading to Stony Brook on Saturday for the same scheduled matchups as the women’s team, with Stony Brook at 9 a.m. and Hartford at noon.The Binghamton University men’s and women’s tennis teams battled the University of Maryland, Baltimore County on Saturday. The men’s team won its third consecutive match in a convincing 5-1 performance, while the women’s team dropped its match 5-2, halting its winning streak at two.

Meanwhile the men’s team is set to return to action on Wednesday for a scheduled 4 p.m. match with Colgate University before heading to Stony Brook on Saturday for the same scheduled matchups as the women’s team, with Stony Brook at 9 a.m. and Hartford at noon.