Evan Cole

Three weeks into the season, owners are getting a feel for which matchups are more exploitable than others, and how many touches certain players will receive. These picks are designed to increase your chances of winning this week.

Quarterback:

Start:

Matt Ryan (ATL): Once projected to fall out of the top tier of quarterbacks, Ryan has exploded to start this fantasy season, leading all players in standard scoring. This week, Ryan is poised to continue his success in a favorable matchup against New Orleans’ inexperienced secondary.

Carson Palmer (ARI): After a comeback season, Palmer has been successful in his first two weeks, remaining in the top 10 in ESPN Fantasy standard scoring throughout the first two weeks. This week against the Bills’ defense, Palmer should dominate with his fortified receiving core.

Sit:

Andy Dalton (CIN): A preseason lock to produce solid numbers, Dalton has had a lackluster two weeks. It won’t get any easier for him this week when he faces the Broncos’ defense, which is led by almost unblockable outside linebacker Von Miller.

If you’re desperate:

Matt Stafford (DET): Stafford has started strong and should have another solid game against Green Bay.

Ryan Tannehill (MIA): Tannehill has a great matchup against the Browns. If wide receiver DeVante Parker is healthy, he’ll have all the weapons he needs for a big day.

RB:

Start:

Melvin Gordon (SD): After jumping out to a top-10 start in ESPN Fantasy standard scoring this season, Gordon will get all the touches he can handle. The Colts’ defense also poses an easy matchup since it has already allowed three rushing touchdowns.

Theo Riddick (DET): With Ameer Abdullah out, Riddick is in a position to see the majority of snaps as the Lions’ tailback. Stafford should target him frequently in what should be a high-scoring affair against Green Bay.

Sit:

Carlos Hyde (SF): Hyde failed to get anything going against Carolina’s staunch defense. It won’t get easier for him this week when he faces the Seahawks’ defense, which is first in points again this season.

If you’re desperate:

Christine Michael (SEA): When given carries, Michael has looked great. Since Thomas Rawls is injured, he should see the ball against a paltry 49ers’ defense.

Charles Sims (TB): Sims should be the Buccaneers’ workhorse with Doug Martin out. He has a solid matchup against the Rams.

WR:

Start:

Travis Benjamin (SD): After a season-ending injury for Keenan Allen, Benjamin has emerged as one of Philip Rivers’ top options. He should see a majority of Rivers’ targets against the Colts’ hampered defense.

Jeremy Maclin (KC): Last week, Alex Smith targeted Maclin 15 times. He’s set for a big week since he’ll face the Jets’ struggling cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Sit:

Sammy Watkins (BUF): Watkins’ sore foot severely limits his ability to create separation and secure catches. Bench him if you have a solid replacement, since he’ll face the Cardinals defense, which won’t give him room to get open.

If you’re desperate:

Tyrell Williams (SD): Williams is also emerging as one of Rivers’ preferred targets. He should see a good amount of targets against the Colts.

Mike Wallace (BAL): Looking rejuvenated, Wallace has proven to be Baltimore’s top receiving threat. He has a favorable matchup this week against an injured Jaguars defense.

TE:

Start:

Jacob Tamme (ATL): Tamme has been a reliable option for Matt Ryan over the middle of the field since defenders have prioritized Julio Jones and Mohamed Sanu. Tamme should see success as the Saints’ defense will likely have relaxed coverage up the middle.

Dwayne Allen (IND): With wide receiver Donte Moncrief out, Allen should be second in line for targets against the Chargers. As the Chargers try to shut down the explosive T.Y. Hilton, Andrew Luck will look for Allen, especially in the red zone.

Sit:

Coby Fleener (NO): Once poised for a breakout season, Fleener has failed to make an impact. He’s lost targets, and owners should look for a replacement.

If you’re desperate:

Dennis Pitta (BAL): Against the Jaguars, Pitta should have enough upside to warrant a start.
Jesse James (PIT): James has a favorable matchup against the Eagles and is emerging as the Steelers’ top tight end.