Photo provided by Binghamton Athletics Kevin McKeown will take over as head coach of the Binghamton men’s lacrosse program.

The Binghamton men’s lacrosse team has found a new leader in former BU standout Kevin McKeown. Director of Athletics Patrick Elliott announced last week that McKeown would take over as the team’s head coach.

This is not the first time McKeown has manned the Bearcats’ lacrosse squad. When he first took over in 2011 as interim head coach, the program was in turmoil. Just a month into the season, head coach Ed Stephenson resigned over what he felt was the unjustified suspension of three of his players. Third-year assistant coach McKeown, who had played for the Bearcats as an undergraduate, took charge, steadying the ship and leading BU to an America East (AE) Tournament appearance. This time, however, he will have months, rather than days, to prepare.

“It was certainly a challenge, taking over in the middle of the season,” McKeown said. “This time around I’ll have a little bit more planning time, obviously, going into it.”

He succeeds Scott Nelson, with whom the University chose to part ways following the conclusion of last season. Under Nelson in 2016, the Bearcats finished fifth in the AE, failing to make the playoffs for the second straight year. Nelson compiled a 24-45 record over five seasons at the helm, including a 10-17 mark in conference play.

The spotlight into which McKeown was thrust during his time as interim head coach was not unfamiliar to him: As a Bearcat, he served as the cornerstone of the program following its transition to Division I. A four-year starting goalie for BU, McKeown became known for using every part of his body, in addition to his stick, to make saves.

As a sophomore in 2004, he was ranked third in the nation with a 7.03 goals against average and became the first Bearcat to be named AE Player of the Year. It was his lockdown presence in the cage that led Binghamton to its first regular-season title as well as a playoff berth that season.

“Our team successes in 2004 stand out,” he said. “Winning the regular-season title and hosting the championship game on campus was awesome. That’s definitely something I want to do again and obviously win it, though, this time.”

McKeown, who earned an All-American honorable mention in 2004, remains the most accomplished goalkeeper in program history. During his career he recorded 509 saves in 55 games and averaged 7.51 goals against per game. In 2014 he was inducted into the Binghamton Athletics Hall of Fame.

For the past two seasons, he served as defensive coordinator at Bellarmine, leading the Knights to their first playoff appearance in school history. Previously, he served in the same role at Siena.

The new coach looks to utilize his successful history with the program as he takes charge of a squad that struggled last season, winning just two conference matchups. McKeown believes his experience as both a player and coach will provide him with a level of credibility moving forward.
“Having walked in their shoes for four years, I know what they’re going through,” he said. “Being able to really explain the experience that student-athletes get at Binghamton will be a huge plus.”