Katherine Scott/Pipe Dream Photographer Graduated senior second baseman Reed Gamache signed with the Mets as a free agent.

The impressive play that led the Binghamton baseball team to its third America East (AE) Championship in four years this season did not go unrecognized by professional scouts. Standout graduated seniors Reed Gamache and Mike Bunal both garnered attention from major league clubs. Gamache signed a minor league contract with the Mets after going undrafted and Bunal was selected in the 17th round of the MLB draft by the Colorado Rockies.

Gamache, BU’s starting second baseman for the past three years, was third in the conference with a .366 batting average and second with a .452 on-base percentage. He played a key role in Binghamton’s tournament title, going 2-for-3 in the Bearcats’ unlikely ninth-inning comeback over Hartford.

Although he was not chosen in the draft, numerous clubs expressed interest in Gamache before he came to terms with the Mets and reported to their training facility in Port St. Lucie, Florida on June 18 to await assignment.

“It’s been a crazy process but I’m happy to have the opportunity to continue my career,” Gamache said. “It wouldn’t be possible without the experiences that Binghamton University has given me over the past four years.”

Although he is now a BU graduate, Gamache’s time playing baseball in Binghamton may not be over; the Mets’ Double A affiliate is the Binghamton Mets, so he could return to the area as he makes his way through the system. In the meantime, Gamache was assigned to the Gulf Coast League Mets in Port St. Lucie, FL.

He is just the fifth Binghamton player to sign with a team as a free agent. The last to do so was Scott Diamond, who signed with the Atlanta Braves in 2007.

Bunal became the fifth Binghamton player to be drafted in the last five years when he was selected by the Rockies on Saturday, June 11. He was assigned to the Boise Hawks, Colorado’s Class A short-season affiliate. Bunal was chosen as the AE Pitcher of the Year prior to conference tournament after going undefeated and recording a 2.39 ERA.

In addition to starting the Bearcats’ NCAA tournament game against no. 1 Texas A&M, Bunal had multiple clutch performances for the Bearcats, including a scoreless eight-inning outing to defeat Albany in the AE tournament.
“Mike has worked extremely hard over the past four years and this opportunity is well deserved,” said Binghamton head coach Tim Sinicki.