Raquel Panitz/Pipe Dream Photographer Freshman midfielder Rebecca Golderman became the first player in program history to win AE Rookie of the Year.

Despite falling short of a postseason bid, the Binghamton women’s lacrosse team was well represented at the annual America East (AE) Conference awards banquet, held on May 5. Some of its players were honored as top performers in the league throughout the season.

The Bearcats’ freshman midfielder, Rebecca Golderman, earned the AE Women’s Lacrosse Rookie of the Year Award — the first Bearcat to earn the honor in the program’s 15-year history. In a season that featured the addition of eight freshmen, Golderman was the cream of the crop.

A four-year letter-winner at Guilderland High School outside Albany, New York, Golderman transitioned to college seamlessly, making an immediate impact. She finished second on the team in goals (27) and points (30), and led the team in draw controls with 38, grinding her way to an impressive freshman campaign. Notable performances included a program record-tying nine draw controls against Albany on April 6, and a twelve-game goal scoring streak.

“My first reaction was pure excitement for my team, school and for myself and family,” Golderman said after learning of her recognition.

The honor also reflects the play of her teammates. A common theme among the Bearcats squad this season was unity. From having Golderman’s back following a defensive mistake to aggressively pursuing ground balls and shots when she missed them, her teammates have contributed to her statistical success. Another important factor in Golderman’s initial success was the Binghamton coaching staff, which provided constant support and encouragement that allowed Golderman to strive and set the bar high for herself.

“It is great for her to get acknowledgement,” BU head coach Stephanie Allen said. “She came in and made an immediate impact and has a bright and promising future ahead of her.”

In addition to being awarded Rookie of the Year, Golderman was named to the second-team all-conference and to the all-rookie team. She was joined on the all-rookie team by classmate Olivia Batista and on the second-team all-conference team by senior Callon Williams. Senior Allie Rodgers was named to the first-team all-conference team after a phenomenal year on defensive. She ended the season tied for 12th in the country with 2.18 caused turnovers per game.

While most players who receive such an honor may put added pressure on themselves to achieve additional personal success, Golderman states that the award does not change her mindset.

“I am looking forward to getting back on the field with my teammates because I know next season will be exciting,” Golderman said. “I can’t wait to see what we will produce.”