Raquel Panitz/Pipe Dream Photographer Senior attack Sophia Racciatti recorded four goals in her final career game against Vermont on Saturday.

The Binghamton women’s lacrosse team entered Saturday needing a lot of luck to qualify for the America East (AE) tournament. The Bearcats controlled what they could as they topped Vermont, 13-8, but UMBC’s win over New Hampshire officially eliminated BU from playoff contention. Since joining the conference in 2002, the Bearcats have yet to qualify for the AE Tournament.

Binghamton (6-11, 2-4 AE) had an impressive showing in its bittersweet season finale, never trailing Vermont (6-10, 2-4 AE) at any point in the game. The Bearcats were aware of their elimination, but that did not deter them from finishing the season on a positive note.

“I’m proud of our team and the fact that they showed resiliency,” BU head coach Stephanie Allen said. “Despite not being able to make it into the tournament, [we] displayed a want and desire to finish our season strong.”

Binghamton had an explosive start, jumping out to a 3-1 lead just over five minutes into the first half. After the Catamounts’ second goal, the Bearcats responded by scoring four unanswered goals. Senior attack Sophia Racciatti and junior midfielder Callon Williams led the offensive outburst, scoring a combined five goals in the first half. Vermont scored its second goal just before the end of the half to cut the Bearcats’ lead to 7-2 heading into the locker room. Binghamton’s defense was particularly strong in the half, allowing only two goals on 13 shots.

In the second half, the Bearcats’ offense maintained its production, netting six goals on just 10 shots. Williams and Racciatti each scored four goals in the game, combining for the same amount of goals Vermont had in the contest. The Bearcats coasted home in the second half as the Catamounts never came closer than four goals. With a great team performance all around, the Bearcats were happy to end the season on a high note, especially for their five seniors.

“We talked a little bit post-game and just really thanked them for the impact they left on the program,” Allen said. “They might not see the results immediately, but I think when they look back in another year or two they will really see the legacy that they left here.”

With the end of the season, Binghamton will now shift its focus to next year as they hope to make a significant stride in development. With a young core that can develop together, the Bearcats will look to begin preparation for the 2017 season as soon as possible.

“We plan to conduct some practices and organized play this upcoming week,” Allen said. “We’re looking to start next season tomorrow. Looking ahead, we’re really motivated by the way we were able to finish out the season — the last two games on the road especially — and look forward to a great future.”