The Binghamton baseball team’s greatest weakness early this season has been its pitching staff, which has recorded a 7.37 earned run average. On the occasions when the staff has given BU a chance to win, the bats have, for the most part, fallen silent. On Tuesday afternoon against Bucknell, however, the Bearcats (4-14) broke that trend, combing an impressive pitching performance with a dominant offensive one to rout Bucknell, 14-2.

The matchup marked Binghamton’s first home game in 2015-16 after playing 17-straight road games over the last five weeks. Perhaps for the first time this season, everything seemed to click as seven of the Bearcats’ 12 hits went for extra bases while the pitching staff held its own against the Bison (7-13) in the final game before the start of conference play.

“It was obviously a good win and a good effort for our guys,” BU head coach Tim Sinicki said. “Hopefully it was something we can build off.”

After three innings of play in which neither team recorded a hit, the Bearcats opened scoring with three runs in the bottom of the fourth inning. Sophomore designated hitter Pat Britt pulled an RBI triple to the right field corner to score junior left-fielder Eddie Posavec from first. Sophomore catcher Jason Agresti and sophomore center-fielder C.J. Krowiak continued the rally with an RBI double and a line-out to center, respectively.

The Bearcats followed in the fifth inning with another rally, dominating Bucknell senior reliever Max Kra for six runs in one third of an inning and freshman P.J. Strahm for another run in the final two-thirds inning, which included a three-run home run to left center by sophomore pinch hitter Chris McGee.

Binghamton freshman starting pitcher Nick Gallagher was credited with the win, striking out two while allowing one hit in two innings pitched.

Both Binghamton and Bucknell used the game as preparation for their upcoming America East and Patriot League conference slates, respectively. The game featured a combined 16 different pitchers in nine innings.

“From a pitching standpoint, it’s important to get these guys touches in these games,” Sinicki said. “There’s nothing like facing live pitchers and from a position-player standpoint you’ve got to play your regulars to try to get them going for the weekend.”

The Bearcats are set to return to action on Saturday with a three-game series against Maine. First pitch is set for 1 p.m. from Mahaney Diamond in Orono, Maine. The series will continue with the second part of a double-header on Saturday followed by the final matchup on Sunday.